Support Enforcement in Illinois

jljlj1920

Jurisdiction
Ontario
I am a resident of Illinois, my son and his mother live in Ontario. She opened the support/access case in Ontario in 2014. After releasing my lawyer last year I have received nothing from either lawyer or Ontario regarding the case. Just this week the Family Responsibility Office of Ontario has contacted my employer (still not me directly) about garnishing my wages. She must have known I didn't have representation, and got this pushed through without me knowing or being able to do anything. My employer is skeptical of his responsibility to this foreign notice and he said he will comply once he receives a notice from the jurisdiction that resides over him and his business. Is he doing the right thing? How long do I have to stop the order, or until my local jurisdiction gets involved?

International child support obligations are possible, but aren't easy.

Canada's federal government discusses their ability and alleged SLICK, SWEET arrangement with the US government to levy against US nationals:
Enforcement between provinces, territories and countries
Illinois Legal Aid discusses child support enforcement:
Enforcing my child support order

Here's a FREE vowel, mate.

Hire yourself an Illinois licensed attorney.

At least talk to three or four for FREE.
Most attorneys will meet with you initially to assess your situation and allow you to ask questions, express concerns.

If you keep avoiding REAL LEGAL REPRESENTATION, hired by you, to help you; you're not going to like the result(s).

In Canada, the child support can continue into an ADULT child's mid-20s.

Under the Family Law Act in Ontario, child support is limited to someone under the age of 18 or over the age of 18 and in a full time program of education. It is generally accepted that a child who is pursuing post secondary education is unable to withdraw from parental charge and as such qualifies for support.

Back