Suing cuny

moudmorsy

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi

I hope you can help me on this
I'm a cuny student who started school fall 2013 I presented my foreign bachelor degree and transcript (graduated 2005 overseas). the school transfered 7 credits and approved me for financial aid. I started studying at CityTech then I transfered from Citytech to City College (both are under cuny) after 5 semesters at CityTech. After I transfered to city college, I tried to take one class at citytech using The E-permit option but the registrar office treated me very badly on the phone that I complained and the school apologized. after apologizing I received a letter that I need to pay all the financial aid I received in 10 days otherwise I'll be reported to the board of education and they did report me but got back to me after a week to say I've to pay the money for them (CityTech) not to the government. and then they stopped me from registering to classes (by placing what's called a financial aid hold on my account) so I've to pay all the financial aid money they gave me through 5 semesters to allow me to register for classes. Now I'm no longer student (although i need 3 semester to graduate) and I have school loans to pay other than the financial aid money they are talking about. Note, if you google "financial aid forgiveness" you will find on Federal Student Aid the first reason says "Your school falsely certified your eligibility to receive the loan based on your ability to benefit from its training, and you did not meet the ability to benefit student eligibility requirements."
I feel like I lost everything Years, money, and now in dept.
not sure how to start suing Cuny.
Note: everything is documented.

Note: the school stopped me fr

Last edited:
It is not clear why you think your student aid loan should be forgiven.

You say they stopped you from registering but do not elaborate on why. This does not mean you were falsely certified. It might simply mean you did not pay what you owed.

mightymoose
they stopped me from registering to classes (by placing what's called a "financial aid hold" on my account) so I've to pay all the financial aid money they gave me through 5 semesters to let me to register for classes

Your financial aid money came from the government. Did you receive it directly? Was it ever paid to the school? Did they give a reason explaining that the financial aid was disbursed and should not have been? Something is missing here.
Did you submit an application for the loan forgiveness? Was it rejected?

the financial aid money always went towards my school tuition. I've no explanation, the school is the one that should explain why they approved me for financial aid and the after number of semester they are saying they made a mistake and I should pay them back. I didn't submit application for forgiveness yet.
I'm feeling tricked by the school by giving me financial aid and when I'm halfway they said I've to pay them everything. I was treated badly by the registrar office too.
I'm not sure what is the best way for me now to solve this situation.
as I mentioned I need help because I'm no longer studying and I took loans for the semesters I studies too so I'm in dept and not allowed to finish my bachelor.

If the school was already paid then it makes no sense that the school would demand you repay them.... they already have the money. Is the federal government demanding you repay them?
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but it seems you need to get some clarification from the school about exactly what is going on and why.
You don't seem to have much of a legal problem just yet.

good point! I didn't detail that part. the school reported me to the board of Education and sent me that I'll need to pay the money to the government not the school, then after a week I received a letter from the school saying that they paid the money on my behalf to the government and now I need to pay the money to the school directly not to the government.
Note: I applied for financial aid for the year 2017/2018 and tap too (I know I might not get money from them but it's a prerequisite to apply for a loan) and both both went through and received the email saying my application successfully submitted to my school. so I don't seem to have a problem with the federal government. Also I went to the financial aid office asking why the financial aid is not posted on my account although it was submitted to the school more than a week ago and the answer was "you are not getting anything until you get rid of the hold on your account by paying the money"

The question remains- what reason caused the school to take this action? What is the reason for the hold? Did you fail to uphold any terms of the agreement? Are they saying you did not qualify in the first place?

You apparently do not have an issue with the federal loan. If the school repaid the money already then there is no forgiveness to apply for. Your dispute is with the school only. You might review any previous contracts that authorize them to make such payments on your behalf.

You need to determine the reason these actions have been taken, or be more clear about them in your explanation here. If you don't know why then you have some people to contact to get some answers. You haven't given enough information to reasonably determine if anything inappropriate is happening.

yes. the rule is "no financial aid for 2nd bachelor degree". that's why I'm in this issue. Although I gave them my bachelor degree and transcript (graduated 2005 foreign country) when applying for CUNY in 2013 and they transfered 7 credits from it towards my computer engineering major in cuny. They granted me the financial aid from 2013 till end of 2016. now they just noticed that I don't deserve it since I already have a bachelor degree.
note: this all happened after I complained the registrar office to the Cuny management

Ok. I am starting to see your problem.
Did you falsify, withhold, or mislead any information in your applications?

You have to understand that the disbursement of the federal aid, processing of the applications, and registration for classes all occur at different locations with different people. Just because someone may have seen your transcript when you enrolled for classes does not mean that information was known to the person processing your application for aid.

I would expect this restriction would be indicated on the application for aid, effectively putting you on notice that you don't qualify. If you apply anyway and are mistakenly awarded the financial aid they can certainly take the action they have.

If you are unable to pay in full you might have the option to establish a payment plan. If not, you can consider obtaining a personal loan to pay off the school and pay off that loan in increments.

It appears you did not qualify. It is unlikely you will convince anyone to absolve you of the debt. I don't see that you have any convincing legal argument to make that will erase this debt. You need to find an alternate source to fund your classes. You aren't going to escape this with a free education.

I asked them to put the money as a loan till I graduate and payback but they insisted on paying now. I can't apply for loans through school since I don't have financial aid application by approved by the school. I'm not trying to escape I just lost everything and in dept too.
personal loan can't happen since I don't have good credit score or any family member in the U.S to co-sign or something. I was depending totally on school graduation to pay my loans.
note I spoke to the financial aid customer service and they said if you are an undergraduate student (which I'm on cuny system), it means I'm not a second bachelor degree student. but if I'm a graduate student It means the school considered it a 2nd bachelor
and no I didn't mislead anything I was honest from the beginning with everything.

When you filled out the FAFSA form did you put the financial aid request was for graduate studies or a 2nd undergraduate degree? That form asks what year you were applying for aid for – – that is freshman sophomore junior senior etc. I think it also asks if you already have a degree but I don't remember directly. I suspect you mis-answered that question and that's why you got aid in the first place incorrectly .

If you got it incorrectly they have the right to ask for it back. Generally financial aid is not given to second bachelors degrees except with some loans.

Student Aid and Scholarships for Second Degree Students

Hi

I hope you can help me on this
I'm a cuny student who started school fall 2013 I presented my foreign bachelor degree and transcript (graduated 2005 overseas). the school transfered 7 credits and approved me for financial aid. I started studying at CityTech then I transfered from Citytech to City College (both are under cuny) after 5 semesters at CityTech. After I transfered to city college, I tried to take one class at citytech using The E-permit option but the registrar office treated me very badly on the phone that I complained and the school apologized. after apologizing I received a letter that I need to pay all the financial aid I received in 10 days otherwise I'll be reported to the board of education and they did report me but got back to me after a week to say I've to pay the money for them (CityTech) not to the government. and then they stopped me from registering to classes (by placing what's called a financial aid hold on my account) so I've to pay all the financial aid money they gave me through 5 semesters to allow me to register for classes. Now I'm no longer student (although i need 3 semester to graduate) and I have school loans to pay other than the financial aid money they are talking about. Note, if you google "financial aid forgiveness" you will find on Federal Student Aid the first reason says "Your school falsely certified your eligibility to receive the loan based on your ability to benefit from its training, and you did not meet the ability to benefit student eligibility requirements."
I feel like I lost everything Years, money, and now in dept.
not sure how to start suing Cuny.
Note: everything is documented.

Note: the school stopped me fr

You can use your degree in the country from which you brained it and you won't owe anyone in this country a dime.

Or, leave this nation and find a country that doesn't know about any f this and start over using your degree from the place you obtained it.

There are 130 civilized nations on this planet.
The US is but one of many.
Find a new place to roost.

Back