Assault & Battery Suggestions Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck384

My husband is a Military Police Officer in South Carolina. He was assaulted off duty by the husband of another marine. The dependent is being charged with aggravated assault, but only receiving a $200 fine. My husband is having metal plates inserted into his eye socket and cheek bone, in addition to surgery on his fractured shoulder. A $200 fine doesn't seem punishment enough. We are considering suing the military dependant in a civil court.

I had a few questions. Are punishments more severe for an assault on an MP than another military member or civilian? Does it matter that it was off duty (but it still occurred on the military installation). Can his military spouse be punished for the dependent's actions?

Thank You!

I would sue in civil court. If fail to see how the military or the spouse are involved. The fine is imposed in criminal court and you can complain to the DA. If you win in civil court all you will get is a judgment that you still have to try and collect. If they have nothing, you will get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back