Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Sugar in Gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilly4

Can I file a report, charges or can i go aginst someones home owners insurance if my car was parked on their property and sugar was put into my gas tank?

The property owner is not going to be criminally responsible for vandalism to your car unless they did it. So trying to pursue charges against the owner is pointless. However, a vandalism report is likely something you DO want to pursue if for no other reason than to support the insurance claim.

You should probably report this to your insurance company and get an estimate for repairs. If your insurance company feel they can get their money back by going after the property owner's homeowner's insurance, they can. Whether the home owner's insurance covers such a thing is questionable.

- Carl

Have you contacted the police?

There's always the possibility this was part of a spree, and they may have caught someone committing vandalism in another area.

If some car is parked, not on my property but on the road near my house, I don't see why in the hell I should be responsible for it, at all.

If on the street, the homeowner should not be responsible at all. Even if parked on his property, I doubt he would be liable. But, not knowing what some unknown insurance company might have in a homeowner's policy, all I can suggest is to ask. If not covered for the damage, then you're out of luck and you'd better hope that the police stumble on the crooks.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back