Sueing For Back Rent/Dog Ownership Need Advice

Discord630

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi All,

Glad I stumbled across this site as I need advice as to how to go about calculating back rent from my ex. Both names are on the lease and at the start it was easier for me to pay landlord through Chase Online. We had a verbal (that she seems to claim didnt happen) she would cover the other bills (utilities/garbage/groceries). At the time i had a much higher paying job and she also cooked and cleaned all the time. So to me those were forms of "payment" to me and I was fine with that. Years went by and she stopped doing chores or cooking, on top always needing me to help her with some bill because she is in big debt.

Fast Forward to now, we are moving out because im trying for disabilities and she keeps telling me how she cant pay more then the general bills (im paying for food now and internet/cable).. Yet shes always spending money on either dinning out or in, clothes and other stuff. So its enough for me to be done.

How do i calculate how much she owes me over the years we have lived here and she covered a fluctuating price tag based on heating/electric, flat rate and make her figure it out as a rebuttle? There's lots of texts and money sent back and forth to go with my story(ies).

The main reason I stuck around for so long is the dog we got together at a rescue. I was extremely sick with the flu (shouldnt have even went) and had her sign the documents. Years have gone on and im the one constantly paying for medical bills/food/toys and also the primary care taker of the dog. Walking him every day 2-3 times, also being the one to feed and give water. I have a handful of people that can claim they see me almost every morning, while others can say the same about the evenings. Im only concerned for his well being as half the time there is times where she will be asleep by 6/7pm and wont even take him out for the evening, which lies on me.

If i have some substance then that is great, just more concerned for the dog at this point.

How do i calculate how much she owes me over the years

Really, you don't. You won't get anywhere trying to make such a claim. Your only hope here is to make a reasonable request and hope she pays. If she has limited income and already doesn't pay then there is no reason to expect her to pay now.

As for the dog, simply take it with you. If she objects then it will be her burden to get it back.

Well she says she has financial problems every time i ask for her to put in more, but goes and buys stuff or is going out, so she has money to spend just not to give for rent. Tho from your response thank you, I get it would more of a ball park of what she would owe. Dog is signed under her name, so since they are property its technically hers by that regards but so far thats the only thing she can claim it by. We were both at the adoption but i was out side with the dog getting cold air.

Thanks for the response

Back