Sue for violation of 1st and 4th amendment rights

Public Auditor

Jurisdiction
New York
Hey my name is Jay, I was directing a First Amendment Audit at the Onondaga Town Hall. I was invited by the town director and at that point continued to leave the town hall and stroll to the side where the nearby Onondaga PD has a Substation. I strolled over yonder a Female Officer had inquired as to whether I required assistance. I said no then she discloses to me I'm suspicious and then both Female Officer's revealed to me I was Legally Detained. I requested their Supervisor and turns out he was equivalent to them as he gets in my face and requests my name. Once I guarantee him of 148.G he at that point chose to maneuver his officials into the office, as they plot to violate me. All in all I need back in the town hall to talk with the manager, but it wasn't until one of the female officials tailed me in and revealed to me I needed to leave on the off chance that I didn't have official business. She states she was going to capture me for trespassing then the Sarge comes up and records me with his camera in a violent position. At that point I inquire as to whether I am detained, and he did not correspond to the inquiry. He therefor attempts to pose to me for my name again and I deny as immediately he snatches me and places me in binds without disclosing to me I'm captured or confined.

Have it all on video You can search 16 Year Old Public Observer
on youtube and see it

I didn't watch the video and don't intend to do so. But even from your own description of the encounter it does not sound like you suffered any actual damages (e.g. physical injury or financial loss) from it. The Supreme Court has held that all you can win in a lawsuit for a Constitutional violation are your actual damages. If you have no actual damages all you can get are nominal damages of $1. Under federal statute you might also get some or all of your attorney's fees paid. What this means is that pursuing the lawsuit when you have no damages might get your lawyers money, but will cost you money to do pursue it. So if you were thinking you might have some big pay day out of this you're going to be disappointed.

I don't see anything in what you wrote that causes me great concern. The police could have handled things differently, but it is not clear in your description that any rights were violated.
They you are a minor also complicates things.

There is nothing here. The language you use describing the incident makes it clear you don't know how to behave during those encounters. I suggest you stop that nonsense before you do get in trouble.

It is so dumb that they call it that. It needs a new name.

The activity itself is as dumb as the name.

I have no problem with recording public officials and police when they are doing wrong. But the purpose of a First Amendment Audit seems to be to provoke those people into doing wrong, especially by becoming argumentative and confrontational.

Back