Subletters from Ireland failed to pay for damages incurred

Status
Not open for further replies.

clpappas99

With my landlord's approval, I (and my 3 roommates) sublet our apartment for the summer to four young men from Ireland. They signed a subletter's agreement, which was approved by our landlord, agreeing (among other things) that they would be responsible for any unreasonable damages incurred while they were living in the apartment. (This clause specifically implicated the improper disposal of furniture and trash.)

The subletters paid rent in full for every month. However, during their tenancy, a number of charges were incurred, including:
- A broken sink disposal due to them putting aquarium rocks down it (they have admitted in writing that this is their fault)
- Failure to properly dispose of 3 mattresses and 4 box springs
- Fee from the City of Somerville for unsightliness (this furniture was left in a heap in the front yard)
- Fee from 1-800-JUNK for the pickup and disposal of these items

They also left the apartment in a disgusting condition, but as the photographic evidence of this is from 2 days before they had to vacate, they have argued that we lack evidence that they did actually leave the apartment that way.

Now these men are back in Ireland at university and are refusing to respond to any e-mails requesting payment of what they owe. Is there any legal recourse that we can take? I realize that they are no longer in the USA and our laws don't apply overseas - but is there anything I can do?

Thanks very much.

You have no remedies that a court can mete out.

These people are in Ireland.

An Irish court doesn't care what tort they might have committed in the USA.

No USA court can do anything to them in Ireland.

If I were you, I'd accept the fact, they bested you.

The lesson here is not to rent out your home.

This is an all too frequent problem we see here.

Your home is not a hotel room.

You value it, others won't.

These deals rarely work out well.

You're another sad example.

You could probably sue in small claims, if you just can't eat this salad.

You'd probably prevail, but you'd never collect a dime.

Nope, if I were you, I'd move on; but I'd never, ever, ever do this again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back