Subleasing my space. How do I fairly charge rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanksabunch

Hello, My roomate and I are both listed on our lease and share the space 50/50. I have decided to sublease half of my space to another person. My roomate is ok with this, we just need to agree on a charge for the subleaser and compensation for the roomate. The only change for her is that the three of us will be sharing common spaces like the kitchen, bathroom, basement and yards. Wich leaves two rooms to share between the subleaser and I for bedroom/personal living and two rooms for the roomate for her bedroom/personal living. All four rooms are equal amounts of space, give or take a square foot or so. Is there a formula on how to farily divide expenses/compensation? What am I legaly obligated to give the roomate for compensation in the state of IL? Anyplace for me to find out this information. I would like all parties to be happy and treated fair.

Thank you for your time and Thoughts!

Last edited:
We didn't bother to ask him. I assumed a sublease agreement between the two tennants and the subleaser would be good enough. Does the landlord need to facilitate this agreement? Do we need written consent?

Last edited:
I will check into obtaining approval from the landlord. Assuming he has no problems I came up with one solution. Determine the square footage of all space included in our lease and how much we pay per square foot. Then devide the shared space by thirds and then count indvidual space at full. One roomate is demanding the rent split by thirds completely but I am not sure that is fair for the ones who would be living with half the space. Is this selfish either way? Friends are saying that anything different than straight thrids is manipulative. My guard is now up and I want a proper way that will be protecting all. My above idea is the only thing I can think of to be fair. Is there any text or rules to this kind of arrangement?

First; find out if your landlord will agree to any of this. It is his property; you can't just pop folks in without his permission. Only the two of you are listed on the lease for a reason. Extra folks living there means more wear and tear on his unit.

There may also be limitations on the number of people who can live in the unit that you are unaware of.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back