Student Vehicle Damaged at School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdock

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out determining my next (if any) step. My daughter's car was hit and damaged by another vehicle while parked in the school parking lot last Tuesday between 8 and 11am. She reported it to the principal and he said he'd look at the cameras and let her know who did it so we could file a police report. When she didn't hear back from him, she inquired about it again and the principal told her the cameras weren't set up so there was nothing they could do.

My question is, should the school's insurance cover the damage since it was on school property? The school requires the students to park on campus and requires them to pay for parking permits. Since they have those parking requirements, wouldn't that make them liable?Also, could the school be found negligent by not having the cameras operational?

Thanks in advance

No, to all three questions.

ETA: That was a little short on my part. Let me add the following. The state requires you to drive on roads. Does that make the state responsible if you have a wreck?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out determining my next (if any) step. My daughter's car was hit and damaged by another vehicle while parked in the school parking lot last Tuesday between 8 and 11am. She reported it to the principal and he said he'd look at the cameras and let her know who did it so we could file a police report. When she didn't hear back from him, she inquired about it again and the principal told her the cameras weren't set up so there was nothing they could do.

My question is, should the school's insurance cover the damage since it was on school property? The school requires the students to park on campus and requires them to pay for parking permits. Since they have those parking requirements, wouldn't that make them liable?Also, could the school be found negligent by not having the cameras operational?

Thanks in advance

The school didn't cause the damage, nor did the lack of cameras.
Please tell your daughter that she should enroll in some general law classes, along with additional government classes. She should not rely on you to teach her those things.

Thanks in advance
Submit a claim to your insurance company. File a complaint with the police for the hit and run.

One thing I'd also add. You might want to take a look around the parking lot. Odds are there is a car there with damage that you may be able to trace back to the accident.

My question is, should the school's insurance cover the damage since it was on school property?

No.

The school requires the students to park on campus and requires them to pay for parking permits. Since they have those parking requirements, wouldn't that make them liable?

No.

Also, could the school be found negligent by not having the cameras operational?

No.

Perhaps your daughter (with consent of the principal) can post noitces asking the driver or witnesses to come forwardl.

The school requires the students to park on campus and requires them to pay for parking permits. Since they have those parking requirements, wouldn't that make them liable?

No more than your employer would be responsible if your car were damaged in her/his/it's parking lot.

Also, could the school be found negligent by not having the cameras operational?

Cameras aren't required under law.

should the school's insurance cover the damage since it was on school property?

No. The school will have liability insurance to cover situations where the school is legally liable for something. It will also have property insurance to cover damage to its own property. However, neither of those would cover damage to some other person's property that resulted from someone else's intentional or negligent conduct.

No. First of all, I'm skeptical about your claim that students are required to park on campus. I assume this is a high school, and freshman and many/most sophomores won't be of legal driving age, and not every junior or senior will obtain his/her license even if old enough. Second, even if this requirement exists, it would not impose liability on the school -- especially since parents likely agree to a liability waiver.

could the school be found negligent by not having the cameras operational?

No, and even if it were negligent, no damages resulted from the lack of working cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back