Student Safety

Mzdada

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello I am needing to find out as a parent my son graduated high school May 2013 and started attending college at Jarvis Christian College in Hawkins Tx. I was listed in his FERPA but since he is over 18 I wasn't allowed to get information on his well being. I found out a lot of disturbing things that happen at the school the last 3 years he attended. He didn't graduate unfortunately he was assaulted physically twice and rushed to the hospital for a concussion he also was introduced to a lot of drugs and it was laced.

Which lead to him being placed in a mental institution twice at a hospital while attending the college and he was placed on medication. I was not informed of any of this until he came home and was totally not the child I sent to the college.

I want to know what if there is anything that I can do as a parent now he is 22 years old was diagnosed with Bipolar and schizoaffective disorder caused by the laced drugs that was supplied to him on campus. Now he is a total different person and I feel that the campus should receive some type of disciplinary action for failing to secure the campus for safely.

The school didn't supply the illegal drugs, some no good drug dealer did.

No, you have no cause of action against the school because your adult son chose to buy illegal drugs, nor does he.

Hello I am needing to find out as a parent my son graduated high school May 2013 and started attending college at Jarvis Christian College in Hawkins Tx. I was listed in his FERPA but since he is over 18 I wasn't allowed to get information on his well being. I found out a lot of disturbing things that happen at the school the last 3 years he attended. He didn't graduate unfortunately he was assaulted physically twice and rushed to the hospital for a concussion he also was introduced to a lot of drugs and it was laced.

Which lead to him being placed in a mental institution twice at a hospital while attending the college and he was placed on medication. I was not informed of any of this until he came home and was totally not the child I sent to the college.

I want to know what if there is anything that I can do as a parent now he is 22 years old was diagnosed with Bipolar and schizoaffective disorder caused by the laced drugs that was supplied to him on campus. Now he is a total different person and I feel that the campus should receive some type of disciplinary action for failing to secure the campus for safely.
The school didn't supply the illegal drugs, some no good drug dealer did.

No, you have no cause of action against the school because your adult son chose to buy illegal drugs, nor does he.

So as his legal next of kin my son was assaulted on campus was sent to a mental hospital I know that the school didn't supply but it does have a 0 tolerance for illegal drugs on the campus and no investigation into the trafficking was done and we are talking about a very small college less than 1000 students and my son has not been the first student to laced there have many several students.

So as his legal next of kin my son was assaulted on campus was sent to a mental hospital I know that the school didn't supply but it does have a 0 tolerance for illegal drugs on the campus and no investigation into the trafficking was done and we are talking about a very small college less than 1000 students and my son has not been the first student to laced there have many several students.

None of that is relevant, insofar as you're concerned.

If there is a case, your adult son might be able to sue his attackers.

However, I suspect he'll be unable to identify them.

If he can identify them, they'll be flat broke (unable to pay the award if he were to receive one).

They might be in prison somewhere, or they've absconded to the one of the four points of the compass and their exact whereabouts are unknown.

One thing you can be sure of, the college bears no responsibility because an adult male chooses to abuse drugs, fails to complete his studies, and decides not to report an assault to the police.

If this is important to you, you or he will need an attorney to pursue it anyway.

Therefore, you or he should consult with an attorney or two near you.

I want to know what if there is anything that I can do as a parent

I'm sure you can do lots of things. What exactly did you have in mind?

I feel that the campus should receive some type of disciplinary action for failing to secure the campus for safely.

No college is capable of preventing all criminal activity on its campus. It might be that there are facts relevant to the two instances of assault that you mentioned that might suggest that the college might have some liability, but you didn't provide any details about those incidents. As you may be aware, college students have been using illegal drugs since before you or I was born. The college is not liable for your son's voluntary choice to use illegal drugs (and the college obviously is not responsible for illegal drug quality control) -- especially since, for all you know, he obtained the drugs off campus.

I know that the school didn't supply but it does have a 0 tolerance for illegal drugs on the campus and no investigation into the trafficking was done

Trafficking? Your son made a voluntary choice to obtain and use illegal drugs. That's not trafficking, and it happens every day on every college campus in the country. Moreover, you have no idea what investigation the school did and didn't do. It's not like the school officials are going to provide you with details of their internal operations. Stop trying to hold someone else responsible for your son's bad choices and focus on him getting better.

None of that is relevant, insofar as you're concerned.

If there is a case, your adult son might be able to sue his attackers.

However, I suspect he'll be unable to identify them.

If he can identify them, they'll be flat broke (unable to pay the award if he were to receive one).

They might be in prison somewhere, or they've absconded to the one of the four points of the compass and their exact whereabouts are unknown.

One thing you can be sure of, the college bears no responsibility because an adult male chooses to abuse drugs, fails to complete his studies, and decides not to report an assault to the police.

If this is important to you, you or he will need an attorney to pursue it anyway.

Therefore, you or he should consult with an attorney or two near you.

I appreciate your comments how I do disagree with them totally I will continue to google cases that the supreme court ruled on students with mental illnesses have rights and there was obstruction and a cover that has been going on at this campus to the point where it is closing down so thank you but I will seek alternative assistance. My son has never abused drugs and never used them until some one laced it and i am sure you have made bad decission in your life and we all have a past to assume and judge people based off of a one time use of drug that has been proven to heal people with different health reason and is legal in some states is by all means deplorable. It is the responsible of every campus to education and protect all students period and if it were your loved one being in the legal field I defiantly think your comments would be different.

I appreciate your comments how I do disagree with them totally I will continue to google cases that the supreme court ruled on students with mental illnesses have rights and there was obstruction and a cover that has been going on at this campus to the point where it is closing down so thank you but I will seek alternative assistance. My son has never abused drugs and never used them until some one laced it and i am sure you have made bad decission in your life and we all have a past to assume and judge people based off of a one time use of drug that has been proven to heal people with different health reason and is legal in some states is by all means deplorable. It is the responsible of every campus to education and protect all students period and if it were your loved one being in the legal field I defiantly think your comments would be different.

God bless you both.

Well I have never met anyone that was perfect accept Christ Jesus if you are a believer the Bible says ALL have sinned and fall short so you may not know that your children have made mistakes, I am happy for you your life has not had complications and I wish you the best in your success not all children are criminals and perfect you learn from mistakes.

God Bless you as well..

Well I have never met anyone that was perfect accept Christ Jesus if you are a believer the Bible says ALL have sinned and fall short so you may not know that your children have made mistakes, I am happy for you your life has not had complications and I wish you the best in your success not all children are criminals and perfect you learn from mistakes.

God Bless you as well..

I suspect you are taking what your son did as a reflection on you.

Don't.

Jarvis is no better or worse than any other college.

The people make things good or bad.

I was never one to let others influence me.

My influencers were and remain my mom and dad.

No one needs to be perfect to make the right choice.

Your adult son made stupid choices.
That doesn't mean he's doomed to fail.
He has you to lead him back to normalcy.
If he wishes to continue a life of excess, you'll have to make choices, too.
As I said, take this to God.

You have no claim against the school based on what you wrote. HE might have a claim against those who assaulted him, but you do not even if he is bi-polar. The one you should be upset with is your adult son who apparently kept you in the dark about what was going on and took drugs. I'm not sure what you mean by the drugs being "laced", or how you would know what was in the drugs and what your son consented to consuming. I'm betting he isn't giving you the full story. Most addicts become adept at hiding their addiction and the extent of it not to mention they aren't super reliable witnesses to what did or did not happen while they were under the influence or suffering from addiction.

Legally, either the school nor the hospital could tell you what he was up to. He was an adult and if he didn't want Mommy and Daddy to know what he was doing, that was his right as an adult. You are of course welcome as a parent to ask your kid anything you like and once they are adults condition any support on whatever criteria you deem acceptable. If that means you will only pay for college if he shares his grades with you or remains drug free, so be it.

if it were your loved one being in the legal field I defiantly think your comments would be different.

My comments are based on the law. The law is not impacted by whether or not I am personally involved. I have indeed made bad choices and have suffered the consequences. I do not try to hold others responsible for my own bad choices.

Back