student loan fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzo2010

My daughter has taken out student loans and used my wife and I as cosignors without our knowledge. We realized she was taking out more in loans than she needed for school in 2006, and had a discussion with her at that time. She promised to stop and we did not pursue any legal action. Now, we have recently looked at our credit reports and she has taken out a large amount of loans and put both my wife and I without our knowledge. I'm looking for help about what we can do ???

Your daughter is in deep doo-doo. It appears she has committed various felony offenses for fraud and identity theft.

You have a couple of options.

You can either accept responsibility for the loans and pay them off, or you can report the fraudulent activity to the police.

I am sure you don't want your daughter to face jail time, but she has already shown you that she can't control her behavior. She will bury you in debt if you don't stop her.

If you report the fraud to the credit agencies and fail to disclose everything you know then you too could be facing criminal charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back