Student loan, Default, collections and fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

uniblonder

I have a student loan that is approximately 24K. It has been in collections for years. I now am in the position to pay it off in full, but there are an additional 16K in "fees" and "interest" (approx 8K each). Can I negotiate this amount down? And am I able to do this on my own or must I hire a professional (lawyer or otherwise) to do this...or will they deal with me? Do I just call them and offer a settlement? I guess I should add that this originally was a Sallie Mae loan.

You won't know until you try. Sometimes if paid in full, in cash, they will accept a settlement but get that in writing. If they won't settle then consider a lawyer consultation. Are you going to deal directly with Sallie Mae or the collection agency? Either way get the agreement in writing.

You won't know until you try. Sometimes if paid in full, in cash, they will accept a settlement but get that in writing. If they won't settle then consider a lawyer consultation. Are you going to deal directly with Sallie Mae or the collection agency? Either way get the agreement in writing.

It's a collection agency. I'm going to call on Monday. Wish me luck! Any words of wisdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back