Strongest Salute to our Fallen Veterans on Memorial Day

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I remember the day when I reported for military service registration in the United States military and armed forces. I was not born early enough to remember the days of full scale international war and when military service was required. Being a bit naive, I reported for the draft several months late because I thought I'd be notified if there really was a draft or registration in effect. After all, the IRS finds you if it wishes....

So off I went to the US Post Office branch near my home because I was told that is where you were supposed to register. That day I was more than a little nervous, not really sure what it meant, whether I might actually be called to serve in the military and whether my late registration would affect me. After cautiously approaching the clerk, I prefaced my question about the draft registration by apologizing in advance if I was asking a stupid question. He responded by handing me a card to fill out and then asking: "What's your uniform size?" Of course, I couldn't see my own expression. But the post office clerk laughed heartily and said "I'm just kidding around with you."

While that is a funny and amusing story, serving in the military is decided not funny nor amusing. It's easy to forget the pain and suffering of our veterans, those who have died and whose names are so easily forgotten - especially if they are members of other people's families. It's also easy to forget those veterans who live on with their lives forever impacted by war - mentally and physically. For those of us who did not have the honor of serving in the defense and safety of our country and its citizens, I cannot even come close to thanking our veterans for their sacrifices. I must humbly remember that every military veteran is a true hero and that nothing I can say will even come close to the gratitude we must feel for those who no longer can enjoy life so that the rest of us can. We also have to humbly thank the families of veterans for supporting them and coping with the loss of every fallen soldier. There is no Captain America. Every one of our veterans is a true hero and on this day, Memorial Day, we should pay more attention than just lip service to understand just how important their sacrifices were in order for us to appreciate our own lives.

Bless our troops and our veterans. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart and as best I can.

Thank you for the chuckle, and the kind sentiments, professor.

From the days of General Washington, through our Great Civil War and the World Wars that followed, including my bit in 'Nam, I have the deepest respect and the utmost regard for our nation's draftees.

These men were one day a carpenter, plumber, clerk, teacher, student, or engaged in almost any other civilian endeavor; who became patriots answering our nation's call.

I volunteered, and never regretted it one time.

My father served in WWIII. He was drafted about six months before Pearl Harbor.

He never really told me what he endured or did until I returned after my first tour in 'Nam.
That generation has been called the "greatest generation".
They were also the most humble and proud.

To all who served, to those who built the implements of war, and all who waited for their loved one to return, thank you for your contributions to this nation's progress.

You said thanks very well, thelawprofessor. I don't think anyone can thank them as much as they deserve.

My 94 year old grandfather served during WW2 as an ammunition bearer (he carried around artillery rounds). He did something during his service that won him a bronze star but I've never been able to get a straight answer out if him about it.
I've been trying to convince him to take part in the Honor Flight program to visit the memorials in Washington DC but so far he isn't having any part of it. A great way to support surviving veterans is by supporting your local Honor Flight chapter.
Surviving veterans carry the heaviest burdens and many, like my grandfather, shy away from the recognition they are offered. Veterans who return from the Honor Flight frequently comment that they wished they had visited the memorials sooner. If your are a veteran or know one, especially a WW2 or disabled veteran, encourage them to take part in the Honor Flight and be honored with other veterans while also paying their respects to their fallen friends.
An interesting article in a local paper about my grandfather from several years ago: http://www.redding.com/lifestyle/art-of-life

My 94 year old grandfather served during WW2 as an ammunition bearer (he carried around artillery rounds). He did something during his service that won him a bronze star but I've never been able to get a straight answer out if him about it.
I've been trying to convince him to take part in the Honor Flight program to visit the memorials in Washington DC but so far he isn't having any part of it. A great way to support surviving veterans is by supporting your local Honor Flight chapter.
Surviving veterans carry the heaviest burdens and many, like my grandfather, shy away from the recognition they are offered. Veterans who return from the Honor Flight frequently comment that they wished they had visited the memorials sooner. If your are a veteran or know one, especially a WW2 or disabled veteran, encourage them to take part in the Honor Flight and be honored with other veterans while also paying their respects to their fallen friends.
An interesting article in a local paper about my grandfather from several years ago: http://www.redding.com/lifestyle/art-of-life

Great story about an outstanding, but humble man. By God, I love that generation.
A daughter in Copperas Cove, too, now I know why you mentioned the hill on 190 and the speed trap operation of Nolanville from back in the day. LOL

I lived in Copperas Cove for several years and finished high school there. I have family in Austin too... Visit when I can.

Back