Strong arm tactics

Georgiaboy0405

Jurisdiction
Georgia
So the situation I have is this. I am currently a non contractual tenant staying in a house with 4 others. 2 of the roommates are on the lease and I'm under the impression that they can't legally sub lease to anyone outside of family. These two tenants have threatened to kick me out with zero notice for utilities that I say I've paid and they say I haven't but I've also agreed to just pay them again as they barely add up to $100. We don't have any record of payment or receipts. I've been here for 4 months and I'm curious as to what rights I have as a tenant and what amount of time the other tennant's have to give me for eviction.

So the situation I have is this. I am currently a non contractual tenant staying in a house with 4 others. 2 of the roommates are on the lease and I'm under the impression that they can't legally sub lease to anyone outside of family. These two tenants have threatened to kick me out with zero notice for utilities that I say I've paid and they say I haven't but I've also agreed to just pay them again as they barely add up to $100. We don't have any record of payment or receipts. I've been here for 4 months and I'm curious as to what rights I have as a tenant and what amount of time the other tennant's have to give me for eviction.

If you believe you aren't legally obligated to remain, it might behoove you to leave th premises ASAP.

When human relations breakdown to this extent, they usually get worse.

As far as any other legalities, you might have 30 days, maybe 60 days, before you are subject to eviction.

However, based on your recitation that you aren't legally bound as a tenant, you may have hours.

You'll have to decide how much risk you wish to bear.

If I were you, I'd just leave today.

Going forward, to avoid these types of disputes, adults should rent their own apartment.

Roommate situations rarely work well, as we know, marriages result in a 50% divorce rate.

As far as human relationships go, the only closer ones are among parents and children.

Sadly, parent-child relationships are often broken, too.

You have the same rights and protections as the other tenants regardless of the lease agreement.
If they want you out then it is that much easier for you to leave since they wouldn't pursue you over rent. I'd take advantage of that, but don't let them force you out before you are ready to go.

I am currently a non contractual tenant staying in a house with 4 others

That's called a "tenancy at will."

I'm under the impression

That's the same as saying "I don't know" or "I'm just guessing" or "I'm just talking out of my ass" if you haven't actually read that in the their lease. Doesn't do you any good anyway.

We don't have any record of payment or receipts

Well, boo hoo, that's nobody's fault but your own.

I'm curious as to what rights I have as a tenant

For one thing, if you pay the money (get a receipt this time) it's a defense to eviction.

Otherwise, termination of tenancy at will requires 60 days notice from the landlord (your roommate) per 44-7-7 of the GA landlord tenant statute:

2016 Georgia Code :: Title 44 - Property :: Chapter 7 - Landlord and Tenant :: Article 1 - In General :: § 44-7-7. Tenancy at will -- Notice required for termination

Your rental agreement is with your roommate. Your roommate is your landlord and you are his tenant.

If you want to know about any other rights, read the entire statute.

Back