Stopped payment on check at car shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

calicosky

On june 13 my 2000 hyundai elantra was towed to an Allstate Pro Shop for repairs. I was giving an estimate from the body shop that stated it would take 5 days to repair & I would get my car back in 2-3 weeks, but by the end of June, but my car was not ready. I called them several times & my car was never ready because they kept ordering the wrong parts.
It took them 5 weeks to get my car done. Now my cars engine is filthy, rusty, with black crud buildup, a dent on the tank in front of the engine & the new hood they put on has 5 bolts missing that attaches the underlining to the hood. My engine was spotless before it went to this shop & I've kept up on all maintenence, the engine looked new.

I put a stop payment on the $500 (my deductible) check to the body shop because of this. My insurance company removed themselves from this situation & told me its between me & the shop, even though this is one of there Pro Shops and they recommended me to them in the first place. My insurance, Allstate, also said my engine was like that before & they consider it normal wera and tear. The shop is threatening legal action against me but my engine looks horrible.

Also, Allstate never assigned a claims rep for me in the beginning and never contacted me throughout these 5 weeks of me waiting for the repairs to be completed. I made all the calls to them, but they have remained silent.

I'm the second owner of this car. The previous owner was a woman & leased it for less than a year in 2000. I bought it from a dealer in 2001 and have had it ever since.

What can I do to make Allstate stand by me and their guidelines concerning workmanship from their pro shops and does this body shop have any legal right to go after me for the $500 even after all of these problems they caused? This is in Dutchess County, NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back