Stop payment on check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccindy1

We own a business in Arkansas. We painted a truck for a customer. The customer bragged on how good the truck looked. We accepted a check on June 18th, 2007. I cashed it on June 22, 2007. The customer stopped payment on the check on June 18, 2007. He left the payable to blank. I wrote my name it it and took it to his bank and cashed it. they gave me the cash without any questions. Today, june 26, 2007, they called me and told me to bring the money back that they has missed the stop payment. It is my understanding from my banks legal professional, that I owe his bank nothing, they made the mistake and should take it as a loss or contact their customer to make good on the check to keep them out of trouble. Please advise, I needed the money to pay for material used on his truck. If I am forced to give the money back, can I press charges against the individual that wrote the check? He has written me another check that I have not cashed yet, but assume he has stopped payment on it as well. Should I send it through my bank, let them return it and then turn it over to the prosecuter for collection. Both checks are for $600.00 each. It is my understanding in Arkansas if they are ove $500.00 felony charges can be pressed if payment is not rendered. I look forward to you clearing thing up for me.

Thanking you in advance for your time and help. God Bless!

I would not turn over any money. That is the banks fault and the man has no business putting a stop payment on a check you did a service for. By him giving you the check the first place he is acknowlefing he owes you money in the first place.

Do not take this mans calls or the banks. If he wants to sue you he can take you to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back