Stolen Property?

D

Dopest2kay

Jurisdiction
Missouri
My wife and I have been married 4 years. She recently cheated on me and now in the middle of a divorce. She loaned me the car to help get around for work but anytime she doesn't get her way. She threatens to call the police on me for stealing it. Can she do that? Its only in her name but I thought if were married we both own it no matter what.

She threatens to call the police on me for stealing it. Can she do that?

Sure, she CAN do it. Only it's unlikely that the police would give her the time of day.

Its only in her name but I thought if were married we both own it no matter what.

Not true.

In her name only it's her "sole and separate property." That never changes and you don't own it.

You might, however, have a marital interest in any equity that has built up during the 4 years you were married if any loan payments, maintenance, repairs, etc, were made from either of your incomes.

She would have to compensate you for that share of the equity either with money or an offset of something else.

Can she do that? Its only in her name but I thought if were married we both own it no matter what.

Sure, she can call the police and tell them lies or the truth.

If you lived in a TRUE community property state, what your spouse acquired during the marriage, both own equally.

There are nine community property states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin. Alaska is an opt-in community property state that gives both parties the option to make their property community property.

As you can see, MO isn't on the list.

My wife and I have been married 4 years. She recently cheated on me and now in the middle of a divorce. She loaned me the car to help get around for work but anytime she doesn't get her way. She threatens to call the police on me for stealing it. Can she do that? Its only in her name but I thought if were married we both own it no matter what.

I recommend you get your own car as soon as you can.

Back