Criminal Trials, Hearings Stolen property vs. defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristenskats

In 1997 I moved in with a "modeling agent" in Sherman Oaks, California who convinced me to use my credit cards for a little less than $7000 in furniture/electronics and almost $1500 on a cosigned apartment rental agreement. He promised to pay for everything (nothing in writing, the fool I was). Months later I moved out and found a huge hole in my credit because of his unpaid promises. When I tracked him down, he said he would pay me back, and typed up an agreement for payment. Unfortunately, he didn't sign it - his secretary did, presumably under a failed (possibly fictitious?) business name. He mailed one check for $100. I haven't seen nor heard from him since.

Here it is, years later, and I found him on the Internet, posing as a California politician! By the looks of some blogs, he has filed bankruptcy and is known for having a "failed small business". He also has one note of being criminally prosecuted for perjury.

Should I bother attempting a lawsuit against this man? I foresee myself spending money on attorneys while he simply refuses to pay me back. Is there a statute of limitations on this sort of thing? Of course I want my money back (plus interest!) but I also have a moral concern that this man is attempting to present a solid reputation of himself to the California voter base when, in fact, he is a criminal. Could he sue me for defamation if I created a website against him?

I think you are out of luck. There is a statue of limitation in CA - if I am not mistaken it is about 3 years in your case. As far as the defamation, I would take the high road and move on. Crooks like him don't deserve the time and attention you would have to spend creating and maintaining the website. Good Luck!

Sadly enough the bad aforementioned business transactions, with no formally signed documentations set you up for a long expensive uphill battle that would likely leave you in more debit then you are now and losing a lawsuit. Best advice you can get is cut your losses and move on -I have had best friends as roommates never thought to get anything in writing because of our friendship and it ended up coming back at me -always get it in writing and always make them in person sign it, for future advice. I fell for your loss but the best advice you can have it just let this one go, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back