Computer Crimes, Hacking Stolen Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobman

Please forgive the length; most of this was cut due to length and trivial details.

There is a really odd incidence with one of the local police forces that still has baffles me till this day. One day the police knock on the door and when I opened it they stuck a gun in my face, while wearing ski masks, asking where my laptop was. I pointed them to where it was and they said they were confiscating it because they received a report that I had "illegal material" on it. I looked at them like they were insane and they gave me a receipt. A few days later they came back, doing the same thing, asking if there was a "different" laptop. I told them that was the first, and only, laptop I have ever had. They left.
I went to the station the next day and demanded it back. They took me to an evidence room and told me they "found" questionable material on it. I told them they were full of it. Later that day the chief came to my house asking questions. I told him it was ludicrous that they would find material like that on my computer, because if they HAD found anything they wouldn't have come to my house asking about a "different" laptop. They also wouldn't have said they "found" stuff on it; they would have just come to my house and arrested me. Also regardless of whom it was registered to, they would have arrested someone. So they knowingly planted it on there, because they thought they could get a confession. He asked "Why would [we] do something like that?" I told him that there is no law saying an officer can't lie, that they would have ARRESTED someone already, and I don't have anything on it. I also told him that his department has treated me like crap for no discernible reason, when I've done nothing wrong. When he left they put my laptop on my porch. I took it inside and formatted it again. I heard a knock on my door 30 minutes later and pulled the same gun-to-face routine again.

I later found out that when I told my ex-best friend that my parents bought me a laptop as a gift he was jealous, because his parents were poor. I recently went back to the department and they stated "We never confiscated your laptop". Either way nothing came of it.

So what happened to my laptop? I'm guessing after x-many years they got rid of it. Am I right? Also if they didn't find anything, why did they stoop so low as to put something on it? I know for a fact nothing was on there that would have warranted that kind of treatment.

Not related and out of curiosity:
Could police officers plant DNA at old crime scenes?
Also is it legal for any law agency to interrogate a minor without an adult?

This sounds vary strange, and relay you dint say how long ago this happened but it sounds like awhile ago so as far as pursing anything you would need to talk to a lawyer directly. If this happened over a year ago i don't think getting your laptop back is going to be much of an option.

This sounds vary strange, and relay you dint say how long ago this happened but it sounds like awhile ago so as far as pursing anything you would need to talk to a lawyer directly. If this happened over a year ago i don't think getting your laptop back is going to be much of an option.

It was about 2 to 3 years ago. That's why I'm thinking they said: "We never confiscated your laptop."

Bobman. Maybe somebody who is knocking on your door is not a police officer. They could be a robbery stealing your stuff without your permission. You can file a complaint against that police officer with their badge and the name of the police officer.
Samuel Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back