Stolen Cell-Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

marathonmax

Our son's school locker was broken into and his cell-phone was stolen. He didn't have the nerve to tell my wife and me for 2 days. When we found out, I immediatly reported it to the cell-phone company. They said we would be responsible for phone charges prior to us reporting it.

Well, the person who stole the phone made $2,450.00 worth of calls to Vietnam. When we found that out, we reported it to the police and made a report. Are we really responsible for the charges?

Thanks

You may have a problem since you likely are a guarantor on your son's mobile phone contract. You are required to timely report a stolen phone. Someone here must bear the loss and you may well be responsible for your son's irresponsibility. I would check to see whether you have insurance for such losses, e.g. credit card coverage with regard to the contract. Secondly, if you are in a situation of liability, you may be able to negotiate a settlement.

Unfortunately, this is a painful lesson. I'm not sure if it is offered, but I would look into some usage restrictions on the telephone. That would be a good idea to combat fraud and deal with the irresponsibilities of teenagers. Most obviously, this needs to be reported to the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back