Stolen Cell Phone charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopp

The wife's emergency cell phone was ignored - dead - and buried in a truck center console ...... until someone stole it. We did not know until we got the "latest bill" that someone else was enjoying our phone very much ...... about 5 hours a day. I called T-mobile immediately (too late however) and stopped service. I also called the police who came and made out a report. The officer told me he talked to someone (still waiting to find out who) at T-mobile who said that with a police report, the bill could be forgiven. Now T-mobile doesn't recall that conversation. I realize that technically I'm on the hook for the $500 plus bill as well as the phone. The quesion is: Do I have any recourse at all? Or am I completely at the mercy of T-mobile? Don't they have insurance that would cover a case of fraud like this?

Sorry for the long story, but it could happen to you!
Thanks for any help I can get

I have the exact same story with Verizon, only I am out over 1,300.00 My temporary credit is up today and they are turning my bill over to collections. Any help is greatly apprceciated.

I think that you may be on the hook. Regardless of any other remedy, it would seem likely that you would be required to report the theft within a reasonable period of time.

If I remember correctly there is something addressing this issue in the terms of service that you agreed to. Could you pull that up and see what it says? It should clarify exactly what your liability would be.

I would think that insurance for stolen cell phone use would be unlikely given what kind of fraud that could yield. It's a very good question but I would always assume that you are liable for any service as the usage is within your control, not that of the service provider. Unfortunately someone pays and it is likely you because of that logical and understandable reason. It's important to always keep inventory of your items.

I'm very sorry to hear and hope you can negotiate some type of settlement (try to do so for the first day or two.) Maybe you can even discuss how you typically receive calls about strange usage patterns, like with your credit cards. Maybe it will work!

Originally posted by ctopp
The wife's emergency cell phone was ignored - dead - and buried in a truck center console ...... until someone stole it. We did not know until we got the "latest bill" that someone else was enjoying our phone very much ...... about 5 hours a day. I called T-mobile immediately (too late however) and stopped service. I also called the police who came and made out a report. The officer told me he talked to someone (still waiting to find out who) at T-mobile who said that with a police report, the bill could be forgiven. Now T-mobile doesn't recall that conversation. I realize that technically I'm on the hook for the $500 plus bill as well as the phone. The quesion is: Do I have any recourse at all? Or am I completely at the mercy of T-mobile? Don't they have insurance that would cover a case of fraud like this?

Sorry for the long story, but it could happen to you!
Thanks for any help I can get

First, lostcellphone, sorry to here about your loss .... believe me, I feel your pain. I was talking to American Express on another matter and they said that if I had paid for the phone service with my card, they could've helped me out.

Second, Thanks to Freebird for the response. When I called to stop the phone service I did ask them why they didn't see a dramatic change in usage and flag it like credit card companies do (we hadn't made one call on that phone in months). They just said "we don't track usage" which makes sense if your on the hook for any and all charges - I guess I might not make the effort either except as a good customer service.

Someone did tell me that I should contact the better business bureau, but it just doesn't seem like this would help.

Anyway, thanks for responding! I do appreciate it.

Knowing many of the top people at a large local BBB, I can tell you it won't help. This is especially the case because what the company did was not a predatory business practice. It isn't their fault at all. It would be nice if they had extra coverage but there isn't a "wrong" that must be righted. And even when there is a wrong they aren't usually the group that will resolve your problem and are more of assistance in helping people make their claims by tracking a problem entity and providing the public with that information to make informed decisions before use and to assist in their case after use indicating a potential pattern of bad conduct.

Yes, I forgot to mention the credit card option!!! That's a good one. Credit cards typically include insurance for loss and damages. I honestly don't know if it would have helped here but you never know (there are a couple of reasons, including the logic that how can you get insurance after you know the act of loss occurred!! Wouldn't be a smart move for insurance companies!!) Great reply.

Originally posted by ctopp
First, lostcellphone, sorry to here about your loss .... believe me, I feel your pain. I was talking to American Express on another matter and they said that if I had paid for the phone service with my card, they could've helped me out.

Second, Thanks to Freebird for the response. When I called to stop the phone service I did ask them why they didn't see a dramatic change in usage and flag it like credit card companies do (we hadn't made one call on that phone in months). They just said "we don't track usage" which makes sense if your on the hook for any and all charges - I guess I might not make the effort either except as a good customer service.

Someone did tell me that I should contact the better business bureau, but it just doesn't seem like this would help.

Anyway, thanks for responding! I do appreciate it.

OK-I'll pay the Bill now what

Okay, I agree my contract makes me liable and Verizon has been exteremly helpful , and I can see their point, they do not know who I might of lent my phone out to. So I will pay the bill (burns me up!)

So now I am considering legal action against the person or persons who made the $1538.00 of unauthorized calls.

I called a handfull of the numbers off 50 pages of phone calls made and have discovered:

o 92.45% of the calls are made from the same city 40 miles from where the phone was stolen.

o The unexplained calls we recivie at our home number (programed as speed dial 1) are from our stolen phone (yikes???, does that scare anyone?)

o Calls U.S. propation & Pretrial eveidently because each day a call is placed to a recording to listen to the color of the day to report to his propation officer, (1-800-682-0060) (Friday 4/16/04 color is blue)

o calls GMAC insurance (1-800-468-3466)

o purchases pre-paid calling cards

o calls Maids line, chat lines, etc.

o $200 Directory Assistance

o 375 individual phone numbers from Florida to California, with most calls made to cell phone numbers.

I have had no help from the local police, FCC, PSU, or SBI

Once I find him do I go to small claims court?

I recently had my cellphone stolen and am in the same predicament. My stepfather pays for the service but I am going to pay him for the stolen cell phone charges. I am interested in the credit card idea though. If he pays for the phone bill with american express or something then he might be able to get away with not paying for the obviously stolen calls (they were almost all made to mexico).

If he cannot work out something with the cellphone, what is the best way to find the culprit? and if I do find him, can I make some sort of legal action?

My man and a stollen cell hpone who found out it was stolen

My man and i have been dating for awhile and i recieved this alltel phone from a friend who put me on his account when we stopped talking i still had his phone. Its been over a few months and i found the phone and gave it 2 my man 2 see if he could get it hooked up and use it temporary not knowing it was reported stolen. What can happen 2 him in court and what will happen 2 me for giving him the phone. Someone please help. It happened in montana where i currently live now

If your criminal record is clean, this is small potatoes. You might get community service, pay a fine, and be put on probation.

If you have extensive criminal histories, you could end up doing some jail time, maybe even prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back