Stipulation discontinuing action with prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nykym

Ok long story short, I had a judgment from Chase for credit card debt. The judgment has been paid in full. I did not receive a satisfaction letter so I called they (Chase) said they would send one out within 15 days, Shortly thereafter I received a Stipulation discontinuing action with prejudice. I called Chase legal to find out what it was but of course they never answered my question about the word prejudice and the rep hung up after my asking numerous times. They want me to sign the "Stipulation discontinuing action with prejudice" and return it to them. There are no signatures on the document. Should I be concerned that they have some dirty trick up there...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Nick

You should be safe. A stipulation basically means an agreement. And with prejudice means there has been a legal ruling, and they cannot file another. If it said WITHOUT prejudice then they would be able to file again in future if they wanted to. So stipulation discontinuing action with prejudice translates into agreement to no further action and we can't sue you again over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back