Stepparent Adoption in Florida

LegallyFlustrd

Jurisdiction
Florida
I have been married for 5 years and have 3 amazing children. My 2 oldest children, 14 and 12 year olds, were from my first marriage. In the 6 years that my ex and I have been divorced he hasn't really been completely in their lives. The first 3 years he just disappeared, no child support, no communication, nothing. The following 2 years he did a complete turn around, paid child support, visited the children only once a month but more it was more than the first 3 years. Now this last year he switched again. No child support, no visiting, nothing all over again. My current husband has been the one their for my children these last 6 years and now he wants to adopt them. I guess my question is would we have any luck with a termination of parental rights and a stepparent adoption if we were to go forward ourselves and if not what would be the chances if we were to go through a lawyer? Thank you and God Bless.

As you've been told on two other forums, this is not a DIY project. You should seek the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction.

If Dad decides that he wants to be part of his children's lives, the court will give him the chance.

Moms and dads don't get stripped of their parental rights because they fail to pay child support, choose not to be involved in the lives of their children, or end up in prison for a myriad of offenses.

You and your current husband are free to hire a lawyer to see if hubby can adopt the two oldest siblings.

You can find more information on the SP adoption process on your county court website. FL has a great deal of useful information just a tap, tap, tap or three away.

Where can you find more information?

You should read "General Information for Self-Represented Litigants" found at the beginning of the forms on the link below.

Also see Chapter 63, Florida Statutes, and Florida Family Law Rule 12.200(a)(2) for additional information.

Have yourself an informative read about the FL stepparent adoption process:

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/293/urlt/981b1.pdf

Back