Stay At Home Orders

This virus could have started anywhere.

Yes, but it didn't.

So should we stop calling it the "Ebola virus" because that may be dangerous to Africans? Scientists have been naming viruses and diseases after their point of origin for a very long time.

...to imply otherwise is dangerous to Asian-Americans.

People with animosity towards others don't need an excuse to express their hostility and stupidity - they do it anyway.

I generally don't like Bill Maher, but I think he's pretty spot on with much of what he says:

And if you actually read (or listened to) what the medical experts have said about remedial action in the US you would know that every recommendation was adopted at the time it was given.

Hardly. The federal and state governments are all over the place on the actions they have taken, and it is clear that some of them have come to the party late, and some still are not there. In any event, the debate in this thread has been the government's power to enforce the restrictions taken, not how well governments have done in battling the virus. My point is that the government does have the power to enforce those restrictions in a pandemic and that the majority of the medical opinion backs taking such action earlier rather than later.

Hardly. The federal and state governments are all over the place on the actions they have taken, and it is clear that some of them have come to the party late, and some still are not there. In any event, the debate in this thread has been the government's power to enforce the restrictions taken, not how well governments have done in battling the virus. My point is that the government does have the power to enforce those restrictions in a pandemic and that the majority of the medical opinion backs taking such action earlier rather than later.
I agree with you that the government/s state or federal do have the power to restrict in this time of emergency. But this administration restricted travel from China before there was one documented case in the US. To say that action should have been taken sooner is nothing but a hypothetical for political reasons.

Yeah, for some reason MI's governor seems to be going where no one else has gone before.....not even CA and NY..... I have a friend there and my in-laws and some of the orders are interesting to say the least!

Yeah, for some reason MI's governor seems to be going where no one else has gone before.....not even CA and NY..... I have a friend there and my in-laws and some of the orders are interesting to say the least!
Michigan doesn't have near the medical resources that NY and CA have. What do you think will happen if Rural Town, MI breaks out with 3000 bad cases of the virus? Not enough hospitals, Doctors, Nurses, ventilators and beds.

The only way to stop the virus is to stop spreading it. Why is that so freaking hard to understand?

Thank God we don't give the AG the final word on what is constitutional.

Thank God our TX AG's interpretation of TX law has been clarified, as have the opinions of AGs all across the land.

Attorney General Opinions.

An attorney general opinion is a written interpretation of existing law.

Attorney general opinions cannot create new provisions in the law or correct unintended, undesirable effects of the law.

Furthermore, attorney general opinions cannot resolve factual disputes.

Plus, one can always take the opinion of an AG to court.

Back