Statute of Limitations on Tuition Reimbursement Payback requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strangeratx

I recently left an organization (voluntarily) that had been providing me tuition reimbursement. I completely understand that I'm obligated to pay them back for tuition reimbursement I have received in the last year. I also am aware that the policy states that I'm required to pay them back within 7 days of them asking me for it.
Since leaving the organziation, I have received EVERYTHING regarding my termination, including COBRA paperwork, notification of 401k balances/options, pension plan payment information, my exit interview paperwork....Everything! However, I have not received a letter asking me to pay them back for the tuition.

My question(s): How long do they have to ask me for the money? Is there a statute of limitations on this? How long does an organization generally take to carry out this policy? I'm hanging on to the funds, knowing that I have only 7 days to pay them back once notified, but I certainly have better things to do with the money if it's not going to happen for several months or years!

Do nothing until they ask.

Do not ask them about this.

Most of the time organizations do not pursue people to repay this type of obligation.

Don't ask, don't tell applies in many, many things!

Hahahaha....you're right about the "don't ask, don't tell!"

Thanks for the advice...that's kind of what I was thinking, but didn't want to be foolish about it!

The answer you seek is likely in the documentation you already have regarding the reimbursement. Review it.

I agree though- this does not sound like something that is likely to be pursued.

Mightymoose....I searched and searched for any info regarding how long it would take them to seek payment. There was nothing except that it is my obligation to pay within seven days of being solicited or risk being sent to collections. I guess I'll just hang onto the money and hope for the best!
Thanks for your input...I appreciate it!

Put the money aside (preferably in an interest bearing account). If management (or "new" management) decides to take steps to collect through the courts, then it would have to proceed within the state limitations period for a breach of contract claim. You will want to consult with a Texas attorney to inform you of the statute of limitations for Texas.

Without researching this issue, I would presume the applicable state limitation period is two or more years. While your former employer may not seek to recoup the its tuition assistance from you, it may nonetheless be prudent for you to salt away the money until the limitations has expired. In the interim, someone in management can change his or her mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back