Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Statute of Limitations on Secret Indictment/Charge?

zerogravity12n

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My question is specific to Ohio. I'm curious if there is a statute of limitations on a felony trafficking/possession type drug charge if a secret indictment has been made by a Grand Jury but no official charge made by the Prosecutors office? Can the Prosecutors hold onto an indictment indefinitely or is there a time frame they need to charge someone if they're going to do it?

Last edited:
My question is specific to Ohio. I'm curious if there is a statute of limitations on a felony trafficking/possession type drug charge if a secret indictment has been made by a Grand Jury but no official charge made by the Prosecutors office? Can the Prosecutors hold onto an indictment indefinitely or is there a time frame they need to charge someone if they're going to do it?
Is this a situation you are in or is this a homework/hypothetical question?

I researched prior to posting and have an idea of what the time limitation is for a charge to be filed. I'm confused on whether or not a "secret" (sealed) indictment can take place but no official charge be filed and if so would the same time limitation still apply?

There is no hard and fast answer to a hypothetical situation because the exact details can change the answer.

So either come up with some exact details or go on being confused. We do not deal in hypotheticals here.

I'm confused on whether or not a "secret" (sealed) indictment can take place but no official charge be filed and if so would the same time limitation still apply?

You'll just have to cross that bridge when you come to it.

Strangers, uninvolved in your concerns know less than you do what some unnamed prosecutor might do.

I suggest you speak to your attorney with all of your concerns surrounding your criminal charges.

Back