Statute of Limitations on Civil Judgments in Delaware

• Thread Starter Christine Sparks
  • Start date
C

Christine Sparks

Jurisdiction
Delaware
On 1/8/2012 I was awarded an Notice of Judgment by Admission by the Justice of the Peace Court of the state of Delaware in and for New Castle County, Court No. 13.
I never received any payment from the debtor. Six months after she declared bankruptcy and right after she received the judgement, she listed me on her bankruptcy as a creditor.
I received a letter from the bankruptcy court last week the case is being dismissed due to non compliance of paying her loans.
What is the statute of limitations on my civil claim in Delaware to ensure I receive my money?

I don't believe that DE has a time limit for enforcement of judgments. A judgment lien on real estate in DE is good for 10 years and most states allow judgment enforcement for an average of 10 years.

Your judgment is 5 years old this month so you probably still have lots of time.

Unfortunately, judgments against deadbeats are often uncollectible so you have to be careful about how much money you want to spend going after this person when there might be slim chance of getting it back.

Back