Statute of Limitation on the Collection of Air Miles in a Judgement of Divorce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehend

Is there a statute of limitations on a divorce settlement agreement in Michigan? My former wife and I were divorced in July, 2002. Part of the Judgment of Divorce was that I was to provide her with 1/2 of our frequent flyer miles. She never asked for them through all these years and there was no order as to "how" or "when" they should be used. Finally, just this month (October, 2012) over 10 years later, she wants to use the miles. Is there a limitation to the length of time for the enforcement of the Judgment when she has never sought to use the miles?

Is there a statute of limitations on a divorce settlement agreement in Michigan? My former wife and I were divorced in July, 2002. Part of the Judgment of Divorce was that I was to provide her with 1/2 of our frequent flyer miles. She never asked for them through all these years and there was no order as to "how" or "when" they should be used. Finally, just this month (October, 2012) over 10 years later, she wants to use the miles. Is there a limitation to the length of time for the enforcement of the Judgment when she has never sought to use the miles?

Generally speaking, support and alimony payments have no SOL on collecting them.

Frequent flyer miles, why not just offer her the value of the miles?

Has the airline gone out of business?

Have the miles expired?

Would the miles have expired, had you not used them?

I would call this a nuisance problem.

As far as I'm concerned, I offer compromises in these cases, just dispose of them easily.

But, if she agrees, get her to sign away her ability to pursue collecting the miles.

Why not offer her $2,000, just to make her go away?

But, I'd discuss this with my lawyer first.

Many people have an agenda when they bring these old issues to life.

The miles are still available. I couldn't offer payment because we don't have the money. The amount of miles would be equivalent to 2-4 round trip tickets, depending where you went and when.

My intent is to offer her the miles and her husband's trip, but with the understanding that this is voluntary (if there were an SOL in effect), so that she would not continue to try to come back on this in the future.

An answer on another legal site I posted this identical question to, indicated that they expired at 10 years unless there was a Renewal of the Judgment. I don't want to be a pain...I want to be nice about it, but there is only so much I can do, and I don't want this to be an ongoing issue.

Thanks for your input.

The miles are still available. I couldn't offer payment because we don't have the money. The amount of miles would be equivalent to 2-4 round trip tickets, depending where you went and when.

My intent is to offer her the miles and her husband's trip, but with the understanding that this is voluntary (if there were an SOL in effect), so that she would not continue to try to come back on this in the future.

An answer on another legal site I posted this identical question to, indicated that they expired at 10 years unless there was a Renewal of the Judgment. I don't want to be a pain...I want to be nice about it, but there is only so much I can do, and I don't want this to be an ongoing issue.

Thanks for your input.

Legal opinions are just that, opinions.

Legal opinions are not binding, and certainly aren't judicial decisions or orders.

As I suggested, make sure you get her to sign a statement indicating that by accepting the tickets (2, 3, 4, whatever number), this absolves you in posterity as to further liability. In other words, once a dog has bitten, most enjoy that taste of blood so much they will often return to bite again!!!

How could it be that frequent flyer miles you had accrued through 2002 are still valid now? Don't they expire after a few years if you don't use them?
If you accumulated more miles since then she is not entitled to them.
If you really do still have the miles from 10 years ago then the easiest thing to do is hand them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back