Statue of Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystic

undefined

I need advice on this: In June 1995 my husband, who was then my boyfriend, was arrested in a small town in Ohio. He was sitting at on a curb at the local bank at 2:30 am because he couldn't sleep. He was to get on a bus back to Arizona at 7:00 am that morning. There was an underage boy skating around the bank parking lot as well, but my husband and he were not together. The police came up to my husband and placed him in hand cuffs. They charged him with tresspassing and vandalizism. My husband explained to the police that he was just wasting time and that he was sitting on the curb waiting to get on a bus back to phoenix, but they didn't care. They placed him in jail and three days later he had a court date. The legal aid "helping" him told him if he plead no contest that he could get on a bus back to AZ that afternoon. All he wanted to do was to get back to AZ so he took the legal aid's advice. He then informed the judge, the sheriff, and the court personnel that he was going back to AZ and that he would never return. He left them his address along with mine so that they could contact him with payment arrangments and the amount of the fine. We never heard from them until today. We received a letter in the mail stating that a warrant has been issued for his arrest and that he is to turn himself in. We called the Sheriff's office and they told me that he has a $250 bond that if he pays he will be in the clear, however I'm under the impression that the bond is only a percentage of what the actual fine is. It's going on 10 years now and we are in shock that we have never heard from them until now and that they want him to go back to Ohio to turn himself in. I feel he was coerced and also why should we pay something that he is innocent of. Is there a statue of limitations on this and also can he be arrested in AZ for something from Ohio?

Is there anyone that can help me. I'm nervous that the police are going to knock on our door, arrest him, and send him back to Ohio right in front of our kids. If anyone can give me some advice I'd be grateful.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back