Stated Cost different from Charged Cost - Return Label

Evelyn Pierson

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I recently returned an item I bought from a catalog company. I used their prepaid return label which stated $6.95 would be deducted from my refund. When I received the refunded amount, $7.95 was deducted from the total. I called the company and their customer service explained they needed to increase the return shipping cost to offset prices but were still using the old shipping labels (which stated $6.95) until they ran out of them. Is this legal to charge more than the stated price???

Is this legal to charge more than the stated price???

If two (or more parties) are unable to agree upon legality the matter can only be determined after a trial has transpired and a verdict issued.

If you wish to beef the alleged $1.00 increase, your recourse, should the merchant not acquiesce to your demands; is to take the matter to small claims court.

If you dislike the business practices of the merchant going forward YOU are free to no longer bless the merchant with your custom.

Just remember that the cost transportation to the court house will likely exceed $1, and you can't recover that in your lawsuit. In other words, when it's all said and done, you're going to end up out-of-pocket more than $1. Forget about it - move on.

Thank you for the responses! In no way am I intending on taking action. I will take my business elsewhere (it is just a dollar), but I am still very curious if this practice is legal?

Without being privy to the relevant documentation, including any terms agreed to at the time of sale, all anyone here can do is guess about this.

Back