State provided insurance

OutThere

Jurisdiction
Maryland
hi My sister and nephew b/c of their income they receive state sponsored health insurance. I have a fairly well paying job. if i moved in with them the household income would go up and they would not be eligible......right? would i have to pay for their healthcare? Actually its not paying the plan premiums , it's paying the deductible of say medical costs that the insurance does not cover .

Last edited:
if i moved in with them the household income would go up and they would not be eligible......right?

That's how it works.

https://www.marylandhealthconnection.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/MHC_Factsheet_Medicaid.pdf

would i have to pay for their healthcare? Actually its not paying the plan premiums , it's paying the deductible of say medical costs that the insurance does not cover .

I'm not sure what you are asking there. If you lived with them and your income drove the household income above the limit then there would be no insurance and somebody would have to pay the medical bills.

I disagree a bit with adjusterjack's answer. If you move in as a roommate, including paying rent and maintaining your own food, etc., then you might be excluded from the calculation for the size of her household. You would need to carefully study how a "household" is defined. Of course, the additional income your rent provides may cause problems, which is something else that would need to be considered.

I disagree a bit with adjusterjack's answer. If you move in as a roommate, including paying rent and maintaining your own food, etc., then you might be excluded from the calculation for the size of her household. You would need to carefully study how a "household" is defined. Of course, the additional income your rent provides may cause problems, which is something else that would need to be considered.

It's been my experience, working with college/university students with such insurance, that all income for all persons living in the home must be included, related or not.

But I agree the OP should check on how the state defines a "household"

I've had the opposite experience. Of course, it is difficult to follow all of the "rules" to maintain a separate household. For example, in the situation I am aware of, there were separate labeled shelves in the pantry, refrigerator, and storage cabinets, and the roommate had to pay a percentage of every utility bill. This all had to be completely documented.
It's been my experience, working with college/university students with such insurance, that all income for all persons living in the home must be included, related or not.

But I agree the OP should check on how the state defines a "household"

I've had the opposite experience. Of course, it is difficult to follow all of the "rules" to maintain a separate household. For example, in the situation I am aware of, there were separate labeled shelves in the pantry, refrigerator, and storage cabinets, and the roommate had to pay a percentage of every utility bill. This all had to be completely documented.

Yes, the rules could vary state to state, and possibly the sister's income won't be counted. Because they are related, it could very well be. Best for the two to know what to expect.

if i moved in with them the household income would go up and they would not be eligible......right?

That would be an excellent question to direct to the agency that provides the insurance.

would i have to pay for their healthcare?

Unless you specifically agree to be liable for a particular bill or series of bills, you would not have any liability to pay their medical bills just because you move in with them.

Probably not relevant, but why are you considering moving in with them?

If you move in as a roommate, including paying rent and maintaining your own food, etc., then you might be excluded from the calculation for the size of her household.

Pay rent as a tenant and you increase the income of the individual. Be a cohabitant and you increase the income of the household.

Catch 22.

Pay rent as a tenant and you increase the income of the individual. Be a cohabitant and you increase the income of the household.

Catch 22.
Yep very true.
In the situation I am referring to it was different because the landlords weren't on any form of state assistance.

Back