State agencies that allow nonlawyer practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilycozine

I'm a paralegal student. I cannot find info on whether or not Oregon allows non lawyers to represent clients in front of administrative agencies. Frequently or infrequently? What about under the supervision of a lawyer? Are there state bar ethics opinions on this?

I suggest you discuss this with someone at your school.

Generally speaking, non-law students cannot practice law.

You're a para-legal student, and even when you graduate, you can't practice law.

Only lawyers can practice law, and law students, with certain provisions and restrictions.

It might also be wise to run this one by your counselor at the school.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Actually, non-lawyers are allowed to represent clients before certain administrative agencies. For example, the Social Security Administration allows non-lawyers to represent clients. Regarding Army Judge's post, it doesn't matter if you are a law student or a paralegal student, you cannot practice law without a license. The two exceptions are pro se representation and before certain administrative agencies.

If you aren't a lawyer, you still must be accredited by the administrative agency to represent someone before that body. Social security has a process to become certified or accredited, as does the IRS.

Don't think that because you're enrolled in paralegal education, anymore than if you were enrolled in a law school that will magically happen because of your student status.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Actually, non-lawyers are allowed to represent clients before certain administrative agencies. For example, the Social Security Administration allows non-lawyers to represent clients. Regarding Army Judge's post, it doesn't matter if you are a law student or a paralegal student, you cannot practice law without a license. The two exceptions are pro se representation and before certain administrative agencies.

Could you please post the source of this? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back