Starting business with non compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris jones

Jurisdiction
Florida
I currently work for a company that I have a non compete contract with. I want to start my own business and am looking for a way around the contract. Am I still at risk if every aspect of the business was in someone else's name? And I was just paid as an employee? Or what are other ways around a non compete?

I currently work for a company that I have a non compete contract with. I want to start my own business and am looking for a way around the contract. Am I still at risk if every aspect of the business was in someone else's name? And I was just paid as an employee? Or what are other ways around a non compete?

The ONLY way for you to know what you can and can't do for a period of time is to take your entire agreement to a lawyer and seek a legal opinion in writing.

There's no way the internet can be of much value to you in interpreting a contract!!!!

I currently work for a company that I have a non compete contract with. I want to start my own business and am looking for a way around the contract. Am I still at risk if every aspect of the business was in someone else's name?

Yes.

And I was just paid as an employee?

Yes.

Or what are other ways around a non compete?

The only way "around" a non-compete agreement is to determine if you have a defense to it when you get sued for violating it. Even if you did have a defense to the non-compete and could beat it, the cost of that defense could put into bankruptcy and cost you whatever business or job you had at the time.

Non-competes are generally enforced to a variety of degrees depending on the terms and conditions of the contract and the case law of whatever states are involved.

Florida is different in that it has a specific statute allowing the enforcement of non-competes provided the Plaintiff meets the requirements of the statute which you can read at:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

If you believe that your former employer would not be able to meet the statutory burden then you are free to roll the dice and see how it goes.

I know something about non-competes because I was a victim of one many years ago and it cost me a bundle to get out from under it. I learned the hard way that the time to consider the consequences of a non-compete was before you sign one and then don't sign one even if it costs you the job.

Generally your best bet any time a non compete is involved is to take it to an employment or contract attorney for review & advice. Good luck.

So even if nothing obtaining to the business was in my name I could still be sued? My non compete only covers me starting my own business not me working for another company. And obviously I'm going to bring the contract to an attorney to look over, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what I'm looking at

So even if nothing obtaining to the business was in my name I could still be sued? My non compete only covers me starting my own business not me working for another company. And obviously I'm going to bring the contract to an attorney to look over, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what I'm looking at

I don't know if YOU can be sued by breaching the non-compete, because I don't know what you agreed to by signing the non-compete.

I suggest you consult with a licensed attorney in your state.

Until you've had such a consultation, it might be prudent to do nothing.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back