Starting a small entertainment network.

Remy88

Jurisdiction
California
Hello everyone,

Looking to start a small time entertainment network (think local cable network for the digital age.) for Asians or Asian immigrants living in SoCal. Want to help local Asian businesses to get more marketing as well as provide entertaining programs for viewers. This would be a very small organization with maybe a couple thousand dollars of start up money. What legal protections would I need as well as the entity type? Also what liscences or permits might I need to acquire? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

What legal protections would I need as well as the entity type?

If you're serious about your intended endeavor, you do yourself no favors by forging ahead without a business plan, a licensed financial advisor, and an attorney.

Also what liscences or permits might I need to acquire?

If you're serious about your intended endeavor, you do yourself no favors by forging ahead without a business plan, a licensed financial advisor, and an attorney.

1 - IRS website - Download every publication you can find about business and self employment income taxes.

2 - CA Secretary of State website - for anything relating to business and registration.

3 - CA taxing authorities - state and local for income tax and sales tax requirements.

4 - Google "How to start a business in CA." Then narrow the search for your specific type of business.

5 - Hire a business attorney and business tax pro.

6 - Find an independent commercial insurance agent to learn about your insurance needs.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

You need specialized legal assistance. In addition to what the previous posters mentioned, if you're going to use creative material you didn't create yourself (music or videos, etc...) you've got complex content licensing issues involved. It might be as simple as a PRO license, it may be more involved (especially if you're playing music that originates in a foreign country where the US licensing agencies may not cover).

You need specialized legal assistance. In addition to what the previous posters mentioned, if you're going to use creative material you didn't create yourself (music or videos, etc...) you've got complex content licensing issues involved. It might be as simple as a PRO license, it may be more involved (especially if you're playing music that originates in a foreign country where the US licensing agencies may not cover).
From the little bit that I read it sounds like it's going to be some hoops. Definitely planning on trying to play Japanese Korean and various other tv shows as filler content. Thank you to all who have answered! Arigato Gozaimashita!

This seems an impossible task for a small upcoming network. Dreams don't come easy unless your sleeping though!

Not impossible at all. All you need to do is look into the syndication rights of the material you are interested in showing.

A Google of "syndication rights in US for Japanese tv shows" will likely point you in the right direction.

Though it surprises me that there aren't such stations already in So Cal.

Back