SSDI Being Terminated.. And Options?

Vincent

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi,

I just got a letter in the mail saying my SSDI with be terminated because I made to much money (SGA)

during my extended working period of I believe they said 36 months.

The math adds up apperatly and it looks like I do owe. (If I understood more about the limits I wouldn't of went of them, and then owed more now then I made, but to late for that.)

I would be fine if they were to take X amount of my SSDI check each month until its paid, but when I went into the office to talk to them about it they said that is not an option.

I was told they would terminate my SSDI benefits for the next check and then I would owe them the over-payment back.

Do I have an options at all?

Can I appeal?

If so how so?

It is hard enough to make it by with the SSDI benefits and the small amount of work that put me over the SGA limit.

I am married with a spouse that doesn't work and I have minor that draws 1/2 of what I do to care for them.

I am no where near the age to retire so that is not an option.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

The SS people were very thorough and gave you the limited options available to you.

Your income tax returns (if you have any coming) will also be intercepted to repay your debt.

If you have wages being earned and paid, sooner or later, they could also be levied against to cure your indebtedness.

In some cases, SS will investigate a person much deeper, and the person could end up owing every dollar received from SS back to SS.

Good luck.

So can I appeal?

What advice would you give to appeal with?

Should I attempt to reapply instead of Appeal?

Thanks!

SS allows people to appeal.

That won't change anything, it'll just buy you time.

I am not sure if your benefits will continue during the appeal period.

You should ask the SS customer service, or in person in their nearest office.

Thank you for your help!

You're welcome.

I'll tell you from the clients I've represented who suffered a loss of their SSDI too, normally stopping the benefit because of earning too much also caused the people to eventually lose their benefit for two or three years. A couple unfortunate souls never got them restored. One was old enough to retire on six months, but it was a rough six months for her.

Back