SS benefits for the family

Marybell

Jurisdiction
Kansas
My husband, who was 65, applied for SS retirement in November 2019 (not sure what exact date it was). He was entitled November and December pension, the amount of his monthly pension is in the mail we received. Then he passed away at the beginning of January 2020.
We have a minor child (under 18) in my care (I'm the mother).
Could someone please tell me what our benefits should be, in regards to his retirement benefit amount and when they should start?
I received mail regarding our benefits, it seems like our child gets 75% of his father's retirement until age 18. I get the same amount monthly which is 75% of my husband's benefit until the child turns 16. But when should our benefits start? I know that if my husband didn't die, both our child and I would still be entitled some benefits..but now he has died.
Also, what are the organizations that can check if your benefits are calculated correctly? (we had trainee working with our case, who made lots of mistakes on the way, for example sent money to the wrong checking, etc). Thank you.

For example, it says that "your child's benefits started in November. We are sending you the child's benefits through January", but the amount is slightly less than 2 monthly payments. November, December, January should be 3 monthly payments or between 2 and 3, if November was prorated. I haven't questioned them yet about why it was like this. I was hoping to find someone who could check independently how the benefits should be calculated. The lady with who I had an appointment when I brought documents said that we should be receiving both survival and auxiliary benefits but I have no further clue.

And you think a bunch of internet strangers are going to know the ins and outs of the benefits due to you and your child, based on a work history we know nothing about? o_O Call the SSA and ask your questions. We are not privy to SSA's figures except for our own SSA accounts.

Better yet, go visit your local SSA office and sit down with a rep who can explain chapter and verse to you and answer all your questions so you can write down the answers and all the figures.

And you think a bunch of internet strangers are going to know the ins and outs of the benefits due to you and your child, based on a work history we know nothing about? o_O Call the SSA and ask your questions. We are not privy to SSA's figures except for our own SSA accounts.
I didn't mean to get you mad :)
When a person like me comes to this forum, she has absolutely no idea who is answering...I could only hope that I get some answers. The only thing that should matter is the size of my husband's retirement benefit and its a known figure (we can call it X for simplicity).
Another question I was asking: does anyone know any organizations (not SSA) that may help to audit what SSA calculated .
The only person who would be able to answer why it was calculated the way it was is the agent who was working with our benefits. I already mentioned that she was a trainee (across the country) and I've done talking to her (heard too many contradictory things over 2 months). According to the letter I received, I have a right to appeal within 60 days and another person would calculate benefits. Just was hoping someone here may know...

I already mentioned that she was a trainee (across the country) and I've done talking to her (heard too many contradictory things over 2 months).

This is why I suggest a personal visit to your local SSA office where you can sit down with a rep who will go over the records and explain the calculations instead of relying on a phone conversation with a trainee elsewhere.

does anyone know any organizations (not SSA) that may help to audit what SSA calculated .

There are lawyers that specialize in Social Security benefits. If you are looking for free help to audit the SSA, not likely to happen.

Back