Sprint (Sent to Collections)

Status
Not open for further replies.

collected_upon

Hello and thank you in advance for any legal information you could provide it is greatly appreciated. I was a Sprint customer from June 2007 until March 2010. On March 15, 2010 I paid what I believed was my final sprint bill and on March 28, 2010 I switched to Verizon Wireless.

Yesterday, I viewed my credit report and found that Sprint had sent an overdue balance of $83.00 to a collections company called West Asset Managment. This collections company had put a collection account in my credit report during November 2010.

I called Sprint to find out what the past due balance consisted of and they stated that a new billing period began between 3/15/10 (my last payment) and 3/28/10 (the date that I had switched). They also stated that since they had already transferred the debt to West Asset Management and since I was no longer a Sprint customer they could not accept any payments from me or assist me any further. They advised me to contact the collections agency. I asked why Sprint had not contacted me themselves to collect and they advised me to visit a Sprint office and speak to a customer service rep or manager. On 3/28/2010 when I switched to Verizon I had to get approval from Sprint to keep the same phone number.

I proceeded to contact West Asset Managment. I asked why they had not contacted me before reporting to the credit agencies. While going over my information it was determined that they had the wrong address and did not have any other contact information on me. I offered to pay in full for deletion of the collection but they declined saying that they do not delete but they would change the status to "paid in full". I declined to pay at the moment and the rep then stated if I didn't this debt would keep getting reported and stay on my credit report for 7 years.

Is there anyway I settle this debt and have the collection removed. My credit score has dropped from 730ish to 628. I had plans to move and purchase a new car this could really end up costing me a lot of money. Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Sorry, there is little you can do when those credit nazis go after you.

You could pay, and they will continue to financially rape you by screwing your credit.

Sprint started this mess and they plead ignorance.

The shame of it all is that you were screwed over $80!!!

Sprint screwed you because you dropped their crappy service and 20th century phones and technology.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do to rectify the problem.

You can pay West their $80 tribute and dispute the matter on your file. Alas, you'll be stuck at about 650 for a couple of years.

No worries, you'll still be able to buy a new car.

You'll pay a few hundred more over time, but you'll get the last laugh when Sprint goes bankrupt!!!

I agree. I think that Sprint is evil. Outragous charges, bad customer service and sucky phones. Do you know of anyway that I may be able to negotiate with Sprint to have them cancel the debt they sold to the collections agency. Sprint seriously never attempted to contact me in regards to the bill. My last email from them was the confirmation of my last payment, they never called and I never recieved any mail. I highly doubt that they sent any.

In other words is it required for a creditor to contact the debtor and inform them that they are going to put an account up for collections if not paid?

In other words is it required for a creditor to contact the debtor and inform them that they are going to put an account up for collections if not paid?

There is no legal requirement for a creditor to notify a debtor of any such action that I am know about.

But, why not call, visit, or write Sprint about this matter.

Try to get the HIGHEST ranking person you can to listen to you.

Update

Good news. I was able to contact Sprint and work my way up the food chain from customer service to collections, collections to Sprint Escalations and eventually up to Executive Customer Service in only one hour and fifty minutes including hold times. Not only was the service rep extremely pleasant but I found that Sprint themselfs had the wrong address listed for me. Another thing I found out was that West Asset Management did not even own the debt nor or they currently assigned they debt. WaM was the origional collection agency assigned to collect but the debt has since been placed with another company who had not yet reported. Finally the sprint rep offered to have all information relating to this in my credit card removed for payment. I asked for this in writing and she took my new address and told me to check my mail in 7 to 10 business days.

West Asset Management called me twice today attempting to collect. I told them to kick rocks.

Good for you.
To be safe and to eliminate the harassment, their calls
will increase, change your number and don't give it to anyone except people you trust. Make your new number unlisted and unpublished. Don't even give it to your employer, bank, credit card issuers, no one but select, trusted family and friends. Only six people have our home number.

No one needs your number.

Everyone requires peace and quiet.

Never give anyone your real number.

There is no need to get it passed around like some cheap call boy or girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back