Spouse secretly bought apartment for herself

Status
Not open for further replies.

korisnik

We are immigrants from Europe, US citizens, married for 20 years, both working. I am earning about 80K, she about 50K, have a three children (18, 15 and 13 - oldest son is in College).
Our house was paid off our house five years ago. Two years ago I discovered that my wife secretly bought apartment in our old country, and she is sending our money to pay it off. I asked her about that, she was initially denying, then admitted, but refused to disclose details, contract...
Two years later, I still do not know how much money she sent, how much she ows, but she is still sending money without my knowledge. Unfortunately, divorce looks like only option. Is there anything illegal in what she is doing and how will court treat this case?

She has been sneaky, underhanded, and deceitful; however, none of that rises to the level of illegalities having been committed by her.

Yes, divorce seems to be the only option for someone in your position.

Had it been me, I'd have initiated such an action two years ago.

That said, it isn't too late to bring a divorce action tomorrow.

You might be able to recoup some of the money she may have secreted over the years during discovery for your divorce.

But, why bother?

The sooner you get unhitched from this thief, the better off you'll be.

In the interim, I'd take all of my money out of any joint accounts that we might have.

I would NOT move out from the marital home right now.

That would be abandonment, and it could be used against you later.

But, retain a lawyer and discuss your situation with YOUR lawyer.

Then, keep your mouth shout, stop posting n internet forums, and do exactly as your lawyer instructs you to do!

Last edited:
Why would I move out from the marital home? I am assuming that we will have to split property, I have proof that she has apartment in Europe, I do not know exact value, but it should be her responsibility on court to disclose that. So, if house is, let say 200K, apartment 100K, I keep house and pay her 50K? Does judge consider who was "good", who was "bed"?

I don't know why anyone would do anything.

I was simply admonishing you not to leave your home until the divorce has been finalized, or until a judge or your lawyer advises it is safe to do so!

You need to spek to an attorney.

It isn't as simple as you have fantasized it to be, insofar as how your assets will be divided.

As far as the apartment value, that may never be legally known or discovered.

A US court may not be able to tear away the veil of protection provided by a foreign court.
She may have out smarted and maneuvered you, insofar as purloining your funds to buy an apartment for her and her undisclosed and anonymous new lover!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back