spousal maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataunae

I was married 32 yrs. I have been divorced almost 1 year. My ex has not paid maintenance in 6 months. I hired a lawyer 3 months ago & he still has not been served with papers for Contempt of Court. He quit his job of 10 years (wages were garnished) & got a job out of state. He still lives in Missouri, just comutes to East St Louis. He took everything I owned in the divorce & left me with a twin mattress. He told the judge he sold everything & he thought that would keep him from paying maintenance. He took out his 401 K & bought his girlfiend (20 yrs younger than me, & had dated my son & tried to date the other) From what I am told, the judge saw through him & awarded me with a decent support. I worked all but 4 years of the marriage & 26 yrs made more money than he did. I have MS now & having a rough time working. I work 1 full time job & 2 part time = 80-84 hrs a week, just to make enough to pay 2/4 of my bills. My age & health has made it so I may have to quit the full time & 1 part time job. If that is the case I will not have enough money for a roof over my head, etc. I can not offord the new medicines the doctor has prescribed. My son lent me the money to retain a lawyer & the rest goes on my charge that had a "0" balance, now over $2000 but as far as I know nothing has been filed. What can I do to speed things up ? Or can I do on my own to get the judge to hear me?

You need to really push on service. Get your attorney to move to have him served by alternative means (perhaps by publication).

However, I hate to say this, but there's a better-than-good chance that even if he's found in contempt, he'll do anything he can to avoid payment.

Of course you can then perhaps go for tax interception, wage garnishment and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back