Criminal Law Spent convictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashamed2005

Hi,

I received a number of convictions over 14yrs ago while in my teens, namely 3 thefts and a fraud (vehicle excise duty) and they were all dealt with via small fines. Since then I have cleaned up my act, got an engineering degree and am a highly skilled IT architect in great demand. I have been offered a job in Silicon Valley but am frightened to apply for a visa. I feel that due to my past I will be refused. If I was to apply for a visa and be refused, would there be other implications for me travelling to the USA on holiday for example.

What country are you from????

This Is Not Legal Advice!!!

Hi first of all you should not be ashamed of what you did 14 years ago! You paid back then for what you did and you now know back then it was wrong! We have all made mistakes in life we would like to forget, Even me! The crimes you are talking about may jepodise your chances but you can only try. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. If you do get the the USA always remember you will be a guest and must obay the laws and be an upright moral individual.

First things first! What you need to do is find out what is held on file about yourself, because as in MOST cases of spent convictions if they were a long time ago the records may be long gone. You need to go to your local police station and fill in an A96 Subject Access report form you will need to take your passport and a bill or adressed letter from your current address. It will cost around £10.00 and will take at least two weeks to come back to you. MAKE sure you post the form yourself!!!! That is the important bit because it will most proberbly get lost in the internal Police mail.

If you have had any forms of crime which include anything to do with Rape or kiddy fiddling. YOU WILL be on file and need to get a police and criminal records check which your employer can sort out for you or if you are self employed you will have to go to your local council. This check will be done at liverpool Criminal Records Office. IT IS VERY VERY IMPOTANT that you get this form if any of your crimes involved, Children, Women or Violance.

You should be one step closer now. BUT remember this!!!!! All the information you have just got is only guidance and not official information NOTHING should be taken as gospel unless it is from you Lawyer.

Thank you for comming to this site and we all hope it has been usefull to you.

Take care

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back