Speeding violation, videotaped by officer. Record and plea question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1487

I was recently given a ticket for a 30mph speed violation on a Maryland highway (worth 5-points on my license :eek:). The recommended course of action in Maryland is to allow the District court to assign you a hearing date - postpone it as often as possible - and go to see if the officer is present. If he/she is, plead guilty with an explanation. If he/she is not, plead not-guilty, and hopefully get out of the ticket.

However, when I was pulled over the officer explained to me that he had videotaped the entire incident. Aside from being generally fuzzy on whether or not the officer needs to be present at the hearing, is his presence required if there is video of the violation?

I'm also looking for general advice on how to proceed in this instance, since I am 21 years old, had a court-reduced traffic violation when I was 17, and a written warning from the Annapolis City Police last year. Is it likely I can obtain probation before judgement and/or have my violation reduced (I'll accept a 2-point violation at this point) if I plead guilty with an explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back