Speeding Ticket

Hckrnewb

Hello

I was accused of speeding 78 in a 55.
The officer didn't believe he was wrong when I told him I was only going 58.

I want to fight the ticket and I've found plenty of information to help fight it but this is my first time going to court to fight a ticket since most of the past violations I actually committed the offense and just paid the fees to avoid the headache.

What would be the best plan of action?

Attacking the officers credibility? or attacking the equipment used to clock the unknown speeding vehicle?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Georgia's 'Super Speeder Law' defines a Super Speeder as a driver convicted of speeding at 75 mph or more on a two-lane road or at 85 mph and above on any road or highway in the State of Georgia.

In addition to the fines and fees paid to the jurisdiction where the speeding offense took place, a $200 Super Speeder state fee is to be paid by the convicted driver.

Failure to pay the Super Speeder fee within 120 days of official notice will result in the suspension of the offender's license or driving privileges. Payment of a $50 reinstatement fee in addition to the $200 Super Speeder fee will then be required to reinstate their license or driving privileges.

Plus, you pay the "stupid speeder" fines, costs, and fees to your GA DDS, not the court.
You will also acquire 3, maybe 4 points if convicted.

I suggest you inquire about TRAFFIC SCHOOL< or DEFERRED ADJUDICATION directly of the court clerk, or look on the court's website.

Traffic schools come in many sizes, shapes, and prices.
Check them out, and notice IF you try to leave, the price gets slashed by 20-50%, or more.

Choose the one right for you, and this mess gets cleaned up right "purty" like, mate.

I think you should hire an attorney. You think you're Perry Mason and that will get you in deep trouble in court.
Thanks for your response unfortunately I don't think I'm Perry Mason.

I know I'm the guy who got a speeding ticket that belonged to someone else.

I even went and found the other vehicle after the police gave me the citation.

And from what I was reading I have to cast as much doubt on the officers story as possible in order to have the best chance at beating the ticket

You don't need to cast doubt.You need to provide some kind of evidence to support your claim and show the officer was wrong.
Was there something wrong with the equipment or method used to determine your speed? Was the law applied inappropriately? Was the officer properly trained and qualified to use the equipment? Is there any video evidence that supports your claim?
You have a lot of work to do if you don't have an attorney. It's not impossible, but not likely you will be successful without some help.
Unless you can PROVE that some other vehicle was even present you may as well forget about arguing the officer got the wrong guy.

You don't need to cast doubt.You need to provide some kind of evidence to support your claim and show the officer was wrong.
Was there something wrong with the equipment or method used to determine your speed? Was the law applied inappropriately? Was the officer properly trained and qualified to use the equipment? Is there any video evidence that supports your claim?
You have a lot of work to do if you don't have an attorney. It's not impossible, but not likely you will be successful without some help.
Unless you can PROVE that some other vehicle was even present you may as well forget about arguing the officer got the wrong guy.
Thanks mightymoose

Thanks for your response unfortunately I don't think I'm Perry Mason.

I know I'm the guy who got a speeding ticket that belonged to someone else.

I even went and found the other vehicle after the police gave me the citation.

And from what I was reading I have to cast as much doubt on the officers story as possible in order to have the best chance at beating the ticket

Tell us again how you don't think you're a lawyer? You can ignore information on here and get yourself in a bigger hole or you could take the information given.

Sure, now THAT's believable. :rolleyes:
Yup it sure is especially when i have it on video.

The officer should also have the dialogue on his body cam where i told him it was another vehicle. And descibed to him what kind of vehicle it was.
The person even admit to being present when the officer got behind me.

Last edited:
Whenever everyone is tired of smartass replies and actually wants to try and help a fellow human being then your welcome to comment other than that please refrain from speaking. the 1st and 3rd responses were very helpful even though i dont live in Georgia i appreciate the effort to help.

Thanks
army judge and mightymoose

They also do not offer a deferred judgment or Driving Classes. It small court in Alabama.

Whenever everyone is tired of smartass replies and actually wants to try and help a fellow human being then your welcome to comment other than that please refrain from speaking. the 1st and 3rd responses were very helpful even though i dont live in Georgia i appreciate the effort to help.

Thanks
army judge and mightymoose

They also do not offer a deferred judgment or Driving Classes. It small court in Alabama.

You don't get to decide or order people how to comment on this forum. If you don't like someone's comment just ignore it like an adult.

If you know so much about the law then why are you here? Go hire a lawyer if you want real legal advice.

You don't get to decide or order people how to comment on this forum. If you don't like someone's comment just ignore it like an adult.

If you know so much about the law then why are you here? Go hire a lawyer if you want real legal advice.
Well your welcome to be an adult at anytime.

Have what exactly? Recording a car on video is not proof of speed. I can see you have never spent time in a court room.

As if that line has never been heard on a traffic stop. Geez.
I told the officer it was another vehicle and I also describe the vehicle to him a Trailblazer 95-96 model year. Then immediately after the stop I went and I found the vehicle that I described to the officer and the lady even admits on the video that she was there or present when the police officer stopped me

I'm not trying to prove the speed all I'm trying to do is prove that there was another car that was present and prove that the officer was too far away for his radar to make a accurate Judgment of my speed without picking up the speed of the other vehicle.

For him to swear up and down that it was my vehicle speeding and he knows for sure that it was me is almost a lie given that it was 10:30 p.m. at night he was going in the opposite direction of me and I was also traveling up and incline where visibility changes and once you get so far the incline and over the incline then you no longer see the officers lights.

But he doesn't want to admit that he could possibly be wrong so because he's a police officer his word is law. Nobody's Perfect.

I don't care if I have to get out on the side of the road with the tape measure and measure the distance to prove the officer wrong I will do it.

It might sound stupid but that's just the type of person I am if something is unfair then I'm going to do everything I can to fix it and make it fair I'm not going to pay this ticket until all else fails I don't care if I have to appeal to the Supreme Court of the state of Alabama

I don't care if I have to get out on the side of the road with the tape measure and measure the distance to prove the officer wrong I will do it.

It might sound stupid but that's just the type of person I am if something is unfair then I'm going to do everything I can to fix it and make it fair I'm not going to pay this ticket until all else fails I don't care if I have to appeal to the Supreme Court of the state of Alabama

Traffic court is a very amusing and entertaining place.
Its not as entertaining as Dallas County Jail, Houston County Jail, Travis County Jail, Bexar County Jail (or my favorite Cook County Illinois Jail) Docket Call on a Monday morning, or a long three or four day holiday weekend.
Sorry, I digressed.
I'm certain you'll enjoy your time spent there, and the judge and prosecutor will enjoy you, too.

Haha maybe I'll amuse them enough and the judge will decide to just cut me a break and dismiss the ticket because I tried so hard LOL.

It's my first time actually appearing in court for a ticket so it is going to be interesting[emoji57]

I'm not trying to prove the speed all I'm trying to do is prove that there was another car that was present and prove that the officer was too far away for his radar to make a accurate Judgment of my speed without picking up the speed of the other vehicle.

You have no idea how speed enforcement works. Radar is not even necessary.

Besides, it doesn't matter what any other motorist on the road was doing - it only matters what YOU were doing.

Modern radar equipment can differentiate the speed between side by side objects. It does not matter if you can prove another car was present. You can not prove its speed or disprove your alleged speed.
The officer is going to testify that he is properly trained to use the equipment and it is maintained and functioning properly, and that he determined YOU were speeding.
The likelihood of you overcoming that testimony is remote.
The likelihood of you even being able to finish your explanation about another vehicle is also remote.
Your best option might be to negotiate the offense down to something lesser for which you may pay a fine and attend traffic school.

Back