Speeding Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschping

I was driving in PA and got a speeding ticket. He claimed it was 95 in a 55 but I think it was more like 85. Either way I'm in trouble.

There was a packed car. It took him like a minute after he pulled us over to get to the car and talk to me. I want to claim that he has no proof that I was the driver. Maybe the driver switched with me and I was really sitting in the passenger seat. We have a big cr with a bench seat so it is possible I could have done it. I want to claim reasonable doubt that it was really me who was driving. He just asked me for my license never having asked if I was the driver the whole time.

Do I have a chance?

Also, what are the chances I could plea bargain down to a violation that won't give me any points or mess with my insurance. I'm 26 with a perfectly clean record.

Also, I'm from NY, so if I lose will it carry over to my state record and affect my insurance?

Should I get a lawyer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS

Also, on the ticket he checked off that he "Clocked" the car, not radar or laser or vascar. Lower down on the ticket he wrote that he followed me for 5 miles, and clocked me for one mile. But in the space where it says "Seconds clocked" he left it blank.

Does this in any way help me?

Thanks again!

Pennsylvania Speeding Ticket

Maybe the driver switched with me and I was really sitting in the passenger seat. I want to claim reasonable doubt that it was really me who was driving.

Your post sounds more like you are fourteen instead of 26. You accepted the ticket and the judge has heard it all before. The officer paced you and you were doing 95. If you don't want to receive a speeding ticket then don't speed.

Also, what are the chances I could plea bargain down to a violation that won't give me any points or mess with my insurance.

It depends on the violation. In many states this would be reckless driving. If you show for court it is very likely that the judge or the officer will reduce the speeding ticket in return for a guilty plea.

Also, I'm from NY, so if I lose will it carry over to my state record and affect my insurance?

New York does not enter out of state speeding tickets on your record. You need to verify this with the DMV with regard to your particular ticket.

Should I get a lawyer?

Not if it is just a simple speeding ticket and will not be entered on your record.

Expiration?

Someone told me that if I keep pushing it off, after 18 months the ticket expres and they can't get me. That sounded too silly to be true. Is it?

Also, someone suggested the following trick: Send them EXTRA money in one check for the ticket. They will send me a refund check, which I never cash. Since the file is never closed because they still owe me money, it never gets placed on my record.

Speeding Ticket Hoax

Are you sure you still have two legs because someone has been pulling at them awfully hard.

If you don't show up for court for your speeding ticket you will be found guilty and a warrant will be issued for your arrest. It is unlikely that you will get more than one continuance and can put it off for more than two or three months. It doesn't matter because there is no statute of limitations on speeding tickets.

Really now, if either of these were true would anybody ever pay a speeding ticket?

See
Speeding Ticket Urban Legends and Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back