Speeding Ticket - Town Of Rockland, N.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EQueens

Jurisdiction
New York
In June 2018, I received a speeding 82/65 ticket on R-17, in the Town of Rockland, NY.

The Justice Court informed me that if I plead Not Guilty, that I would receive a Reduction Letter and the fine would be about the same as a parking ticket. A week later, I received a Notice with a Conference date. I called back the Court Clerk and was then informed that it was part of the process.

So, now I am totally confused - I was already to plead guilty and take the penalty, but then I spoke with the Court Clerk. If, I am supposed to get a Reduction Letter and pay a small fine, then what is the Conference date for?? I am thinking of changing my plea to Guilty (as originally intended) and
getting this mess off my mind.

A police officer (highwayman) works the NYC area.
Traffic law is his game.
I'd wait until he responds.
He might be able to save you hundreds of dollars

If you're thinking of pleading guilty then you're foolish.

Maybe the court is no longer doing plea bargains by mail, which is what this "reduction letter" sounds like.

Go to court on the date of your scheduled pre-trial conference and you'll get to speak with the prosecutor. You will be offered a deal. If you like the deal then you can accept it, if not then you will be scheduled for a trial.

If you can get the charged reduced to a non-speeding infraction it'll be a good deal. I would take it if I was you.

If you're thinking of pleading guilty then you're foolish.

Maybe the court is no longer doing plea bargains by mail, which is what this "reduction letter" sounds like.

Go to court on the date of your scheduled pre-trial conference and you'll get to speak with the prosecutor. You will be offered a deal. If you like the deal then you can accept it, if not then you will be scheduled for a trial.

If you can get the charged reduced to a non-speeding infraction it'll be a good deal. I would take it if I was you.

...I have hired an attorney to go to the Conference for me and get a deal.

Not that I have anything against attorneys, but in a case like this it's a waste of money. I don't know why people are so intimidated by traffic courts... You'll be paying someone to go and get the same deal you could have gotten.

The only reason for there to be no deal would be if YOU don't accept a plea. For someone who wanted to plead guilty that's seems rather odd.

I guess you don't understand - The reason I hired a lawyer is due to the fact
I am unable to make a 260 mile round trip. It's not that I wanted to plead guilty,
I was going to plead guilty, so as not to have to make the trip to the court.

I was explaining to you why I hired an attorney, instead of making the trip or
trip's to the court. You are mixing up the hiring an attorney, with my original thought of
pleading guilty.

I'm not sure why I am sooo nervous about this situation, my driving record is clean or at least my NYS DMV Abstract is clean (I just downloaded it). My attorney has informed me that he
really has no idea what kind of deal he will get as every town's a bit different. I was also asking how much I should be prepared to pay and my attorney told me that all depends
on the deal & the charge, there may or may not be a NYS Surchaged involved.

Being that I was ticketed for doing 82 in a 65 on R-17, I know that's 4 points - other then the points and monetary penalties, is there any other penalties I could get??

Hello:

I got a ticket from a NYS Trooper for doing 82 in a 65 on R-17.

I am pleading guilty and I have a Conference date.

Can someone let me know what the process/procedure is?

What happens at the Conference? What happens after the Conference?

What would be the worse penalty I could get? I know it's 4 points.

I have a clean driver's record.

How long could the entire process take? How long before I get this over with?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I got a ticket from a NYS Trooper for doing 82 in a 65 on R-17.

What is R-17??? Why are you posting all of this again?

I am pleading guilty and I have a Conference date.

That makes no sense.

Can someone let me know what the process/procedure is?

Huh? You said you have hired an attorney. What procedure?

What happens at the Conference? What happens after the Conference?

Why do you care? You won't be there.

What would be the worse penalty I could get? I know it's 4 points.

Fine/surcharge/points.

How long could the entire process take? How long before I get this over with?

Get what over with exactly? You need to speak with your attorney.

What is R-17??? Why are you posting all of this again? I made a mistake!

That makes no sense.

My mistake, I left out the word NOT.

Huh? You said you have hired an attorney. What procedure?

The Conference and what follows.

Why do you care? You won't be there.

I care because it is my case & my license - why shouldn't I care!

Fine/surcharge/points.

OK, thanks!

Get what over with exactly? You need to speak with your attorney.

My speeding ticket case - I thought that was pretty obvious!

R-17, is Route 17 which runs from Harriman, NY all the way to PA.

Well then you hired the wrong attorney, You should have at least hired one who is familiar with that court.

I hired an attorney with very good listings & references. As I understand it from several
law firms I contacted. Each of the towns & hamlets in upstate NY do not use the TVB system, like NYC does. Plea bargaining is allowed in these traffic courts and each town
& hamlet set's there own traffic court standards, so it depends on which judge & which town prosecutor is working.

Each of the towns & hamlets in upstate NY do not use the TVB system, like NYC does. Plea bargaining is allowed in these traffic courts and each town & hamlet set's there own traffic court standards, so it depends on which judge & which town prosecutor is working.

No one said ANYTHING about the TVB.

Hamlets do not have traffic courts or ANY courts for that matter.

That's why you hire an attorney who is familiar with the court of record. Obviously, yours is not,

No one said ANYTHING about the TVB.

Hamlets do not have traffic courts or ANY courts for that matter.

That's why you hire an attorney who is familiar with the court of record. Obviously, yours is not,

The Town Of Rockland, NY (Roscoe,NY) has a Justice Court - it is at the Justice Court
that has the Conference and which sent me the notice, and to which I have communicated, where a plead deal takes place.

"That's why you hire an attorney who is familiar with the court of record."

The court of record is the Justice Court of the Town of Rockland, which I indicated in the title
of my original post. You said that Hamlets do not have ANY courts - then you talk about the
court of record which I indicated above. I am not sure where you are coming from, but you seem to be passing judgement on an attorney you know little about.

I mentioned the TVB only to state the differences in procedure between each upstate town's courts and NYC's.

The Town Of Rockland, NY (Roscoe,NY) has a Justice Court - it is at the Justice Court
that has the Conference and which sent me the notice, and to which I have communicated, where a plead deal takes place.

"That's why you hire an attorney who is familiar with the court of record."

The court of record is the Justice Court of the Town of Rockland, which I indicated in the title
of my original post. You said that Hamlets do not have ANY courts - then you talk about the
court of record which I indicated above. I am not sure where you are coming from, but you seem to be passing judgement on an attorney you know little about.

I mentioned the TVB only to state the differences in procedure between each upstate town's courts and NYC's.

I did not come to this site to have a sparring narrative, the questions I've asked, I decided to ask here so as to get independent input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back