Speeding in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Last night I was clocked at 68 in a 55 zone, but I think I was only going 64. This is my first ticket, I have never even been stopped and given a warning and I have been driving for over 7 years.

I've heard about this Prayer for Judgement thing in NC, would that be my best option? If I do that I'm still paying the $125 court costs, but that would keep it off of my record.

The DA office here told me to contact my insurance company and see about settling out of court. Wouldn't my insurance just make sure my rates went up?

Any advice would help.
Thanks

That's not a great deal over the limit and you can challenge the accuracy of equipment, etc. but it doesn't work in all courts. While you can challenge the rate of speed you were going and you can do so in court, it's difficult to establish that you were going just a few MPH less -- is this what your speedometer said? Or you just think so? It would be optimal if you were because of what you are talking about concerning North Carolina's Safe Driver Incentive Plan (assuming that you are in NC.)

The NCSDIP states that no points will be charged if:

Speeding 10 mph or less over the posted speed limit, provided that you qualify for all of the following:
(1) The violation did not occur in a school zone; and
(2) There is not another moving traffic violation for the experience period (an isolated Prayer for Judgement Continued (PJC) will not count as a prior conviction for the purpose of this exception).
(3) Only a single PJC for each household every three years.

Note that a second PJC may cause points to be charged according to the underlying convictions.

Originally posted by Alice
Last night I was clocked at 68 in a 55 zone, but I think I was only going 64. This is my first ticket, I have never even been stopped and given a warning and I have been driving for over 7 years.

I've heard about this Prayer for Judgement thing in NC, would that be my best option? If I do that I'm still paying the $125 court costs, but that would keep it off of my record.

The DA office here told me to contact my insurance company and see about settling out of court. Wouldn't my insurance just make sure my rates went up?

Any advice would help.
Thanks

I'm confused about the points I could be getting.

When I called the DA's office, they offered to lower my speed to 64 (only 9mph over), but the warned that I should talk to my insurance first. I called the DMV in NC, and they told me that any speeding, even when it's less than 10mph, puts 3 point on my license.

I'm sure enough about my speed to challenge the equipment. Where can I find out more about the NCSDIP?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back