Speeding 81 in a 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch3416

I am just looking for some legal advice on a ticket that I got today--81 in a 55MPH--in New York State (Albany). I was detected by a laser speed detector by a NYS Trooper.

I understand this will be 6 points on my license and a significant fine ($90-$300). On top of that, I understand there is a new program "Driver Assessment Program" which would be $100/year for three years because I accumulated 6 or more points in 18 months. Not to mention the surcharges.

I don't really have a lot of money because I'm a graduate student (around $1000 in my bank account). I have only been pulled over once before, that instance was minor and reduced to a parking violation...around 3 years ago in a different part of the state.

I don't think I have enough money to pay for an attorney to handle the ticket for me, but I also don't know that it is the best idea for me to plead guilty and take the increase in insurance and pay all the fines.

Should I plead not guilty and go try to handle the case myself? If so, how and what should I do? Anything in particular to look out for?

One final question about the following statement I found on a NY traffic lawyers webpage:

"Effective September 1, 2006, New York State Troopers are no longer permitted to negotiate traffic tickets in Court. In many cases we can negotiate your ticket by mail, but we may have to do a trial, which is more risky. Our fees will be higher in these cases because of the extra time."

What does this mean for me? Does this mean that my ticket cannot be reduced because I was pulled over by a NYS Trooper? Will the fact that I dont have any money help reduce the fines and/or reduce the points?

I greatly appreciate your help. I think this service is such a good idea. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back