Spam Issues Solved - Details Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
My apologies for the massive spam attack the past week. It seems to be cleared off the board now after some work. Coincidentally the spam attacks began after a certain user was banned here several weeks ago. The spam attacks not only occurred on the forums but also in email - I was handling management of over roughly 85,000 spam emails a day with no exaggeration. For short periods of time my email account was somewhat inaccessible and it caused some delays here. While the person responsible seems to have continued their attack, we've been successful at bouncing the overwhelming majority of these emails and banning several IP blocks.

In addition there have been a few other forums, some of notable size, who have been paying posters to dump spam in the guise of actual replies. Fortunately many of them were caught in the filter but it also caused some other back end issues that I had to take care of as well. I've sent warning messages to these other site administrators and am somewhat disgusted by the poor judgment they've had in trying to plant users here to do nothing but provide backlinks.

Thanks again for your patience and I apologize if I didn't receive some of your emails. Now you know the reason... and the broken finger didn't help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back