Consumer Law, Warranties Son, under age 18 signed aggrement

Status
Not open for further replies.

edintexas

My son graduatred from high school last May at age 17. He was going to attend Univ of Tx San Antonio so signed up for an orientation. After some thought and financial consideration determined that he would not be able to attend UTSA, but didn't cancel the orientation appointment. He turned 18 in Nov and begining of Feb we received a letter from UTSA for a $115 bill because he didn't cancel the orientation. He called them after receiving the letter and told them that he didn't attend UTSA, but was told that he's still has to pay the bill. He tells me now that he think the web site did read that he had to pay an orientation fee when he was signing up online.
I was not aware of this and he was 17 years old when he submitted the request online. The letter from UTSA threatens to turn the bill over to a collection agency if the bill is not paid with in 90 days.
We talked with UTSA and the most they say they will do is reduce the bill to $75.
By law, does my son have to pay this bill? Can the university turn the bill over to a collection agency and start his credit report in the negative?
Do we have any options other than paying the big bullie?
Any quidance will be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
EdinTexas :confused:

Q: By law, does my son have to pay this bill? Can the university turn the bill over to a collection agency and start his credit report in the negative? Do we have any options other than paying the big bullie?

A: Yes, yes, and negotiate with the bully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back