Consumer Law, Warranties Someone help me with this question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvestguy

I formed an LLC in North Carolina 2 years ago. I signed a lease for space in the name of the corporation, it was not in my name. The term was 3 years. I merged my company with another and went to the landloard and told him of my intent to vacate with 15 months left on the term. I offered him the 2 months that I put down as deposit and offered another 2 months (4 months total ) to make things easier. He declined my offer and said he would try to sublease, he told me that I was responsible to carry the lease. Now fast forward, I haven't paid rent in 3 month and I got a LETTER which I kind of expected from their attorney. The letter stated that I was responsible for the lease term and that the landlord would excerise remedies expressed in the contract if necessary. Question: The lease was not in my name and the LLC is no longer in legal existance, the corp has no assets. What can they do from here and can they come after me personally? It is helpful to mention that when I signed the lease I was given an option of putting the lease in the name of the corp with 2 months deposit, which I did, or sign it personally with no deposit. PLEASE HELP me with understanding the risk here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back