Sole Propietorship - Web Developer Freelancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

larawebworks

Hello there, I'm a web developer freelancer intending to provide services in the MA area.
I have been researching about business entities, and at the time I only wish to be form sole proprietorship. In this aspect I am confused about the things that I need to file and have questions about the ones I think I should. Here are some of them:

- I will like to protect my website design (my own site and those of my clients) Copyrights? What kind of them?
- I want to have a business name, but is a DBA enough?
- I currently don't own a house or technically even a car, does this mean I shouldn't worry about unlimited liability.
- Do I need a trademark?
- Am I missing something?

Because of cost I want to pass on the LLC. Now, I now I can change my status as my business grows, if a file a DBA name, can I use that for an LLC in the future.

Copyrights are automatically created when you create the work. I would read the Copyright office page, it has a lot of great information.

I can't link it yet but it's copyright dot gov

Registering copyrights has several benefits, but it isn't 100% necessary. Read the site to get more information. Same as trademarks they are also automatically created, but registering them also creates benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back